+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rational Leaking

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    It’s cool you decided to post again. And I like your signature too.

I wouldn’t put it past these people. I could totally see them washing pots and pans in it.

I haven’t made it back there yet, possibly tomorrow. Hopefully I can resolve the issue.
    Does the "staff" wear blue vests? I've had so called managers lie to my face about loading them up with the dirty pans and crap. Going back later to catch the oven full of shiny clean stainless. Which makes me the bad guy somehow. I honestly can't believe I'm posting about a Rational of all things. I genuinely detest them for all of the varying "mystery" problems that occur with regularity (one of which you are enduring presently).
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    Lol no blue vests. What’s funny about Rationals is I might go a few months without any issues. I can go up to one and fix it without even thinking too much. And then once I’m comfortable a trouble unit comes along that stumps me. This one takes the cake though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Combi oven problems....

They never seem to end.

It's a tricky one for sure but my main question is, how did the guy set it on fire 3 times?

Back to the point,

It really looks like grease, honestly but if you say it's not, I'll believe you. The chefs here wash the racks and the wire racks together when they put them into wash but i've never seen anything like this.

I know what you mean on the last comment there about fixing them and all is well and then boom, you feel like an idiot all over.

How often does this occur? You clean it one day, how long till it comes back? I would think it takes time for something like this to grow?

Post Likes
    So I just left the site and guess what... more slime.

What I did today was I took a pack of Care tabs and a pack of Clean tabs and mixed them in separate buckets with a little bit of water. I compared the chemicals I mixed up with the slime/gel stuff. That gel smells and feels just like the Clean tab/water mixture.

I looked at the inner glass and put a straight edge on it and it’s definitely bowed out. During a clean cycle it’s leaking slowly into the drip tray and into the drain where it sits in the trap and starts to coagulate causing a blockage. What I’m having a tough time understanding though is the only time I saw it leak during a clean cycle, it didn’t just drip from the Care pump area, it poured out. I thought with that amount of water that it must have come from the pump or drawer but that drain that keeps clogging up has that large opening right next to the Care pump. So I guess the water could be coming from that opening but not THAT much. Maybe...

I told the customer they need a new inner glass pane and door seal. They don’t agree but it’s under warranty and I’m making that call. So, we’ll hopefully get the glass before the weekend and have our answer before next weekend. Fingers crossed.

Post Likes
    That there is, once again, some great thinking outside the box. Take a photo with your pnhone showing the curved glass, as they might disagree with you on the warrantee coverage. I'd bet as the glass heats up during clean cycle, the gap gets bigger and then you get the flood. Wild!

6. Likes VanMan812 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBozo2315 View Post
    That there is, once again, some great thinking outside the box. Take a photo with your pnhone showing the curved glass, as they might disagree with you on the warrantee coverage. I'd bet as the glass heats up during clean cycle, the gap gets bigger and then you get the flood. Wild!
    I bet your right. As the cooking cavity gets hotter the bow in the glass gets bigger.

Post Likes
    FIXED!!!!

So here’s what I did, I went back and the glass was definitely bowed out. I caught some flak for saying it needed replaced because Rational insisted the slime buildup was from the Care tabs that go in the boiler. That and it didn’t leak during a steam cycle so how could the glass be bad? As far it not leaking during a steam cycle... I don’t know. But to prove that the slime stuff came from the Clean tabs I mixed Clean tabs and Care tabs with water in separate buckets and compared them to the slime. The Clean tabs smelled and felt exactly like the slime while the Care tabs solution was totally different.

Then I ran a clean cycle and looked very closely to see where it was dripping past the door seal. I couldn’t really see anything so I lowered the drip trough and noticed that the hinge drain was draining a massive amount! Pretty much a constant stream. Wow, how did I miss that before!

So, armed with that info, I was able to set the glass and seal ok’d. I installed it and adjusted the door and bada bing, good to go. I ran several clean cycles throughout that day and it’s been almost a week without any issues.

Now, this call started several weeks ago, maybe even 2 months ago. I wasn’t the first one in it but by the time I got to it the restaurant’s home office was trying to get me to change the Care Pump. I held off as long as I could because I knew it wasn’t bad but after three trips I finally replaced it but the problem didn’t go away. Then Rational was insisting the slime was from the Care tabs and had me slow water flow, check clean hoses/drawer etc etc. Each time I’d have to tell them to let me know what happens after they cleaned it that night. So this was a long drawn out call where I was led in the wrong direction from the get go. And after it all it was just a door sealing issue. Wowsa.

Thanks for letting me bounce some ideas off of you guys. And thanks ECtofix for making me think deiffeemtly about the slime and the leak. That’s what started me off in the right direction.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Thanks for letting me bounce some ideas off of you guys. And thanks ECtofix for making me think deiffeemtly about the slime and the leak. That’s what started me off in the right direction.
    What? ME? I didn't do it! YOU did!

I have fourteen SCCs (including WEs). Your tenacity...and this update, will make me far more prepared for if/when I have that problem.

Thanks for the update!

10. Likes VanMan812 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Nice!

FIXED!!!!

So here’s what I did, I went back and the glass was definitely bowed out. I caught some flak for saying it needed replaced because Rational insisted the slime buildup was from the Care tabs that go in the boiler. That and it didn’t leak during a steam cycle so how could the glass be bad? As far it not leaking during a steam cycle... I don’t know. But to prove that the slime stuff came from the Clean tabs I mixed Clean tabs and Care tabs with water in separate buckets and compared them to the slime. The Clean tabs smelled and felt exactly like the slime while the Care tabs solution was totally different.

Then I ran a clean cycle and looked very closely to see where it was dripping past the door seal. I couldn’t really see anything so I lowered the drip trough and noticed that the hinge drain was draining a massive amount! Pretty much a constant stream. Wow, how did I miss that before!

So, armed with that info, I was able to set the glass and seal ok’d. I installed it and adjusted the door and bada bing, good to go. I ran several clean cycles throughout that day and it’s been almost a week without any issues.

Now, this call started several weeks ago, maybe even 2 months ago. I wasn’t the first one in it but by the time I got to it the restaurant’s home office was trying to get me to change the Care Pump. I held off as long as I could because I knew it wasn’t bad but after three trips I finally replaced it but the problem didn’t go away. Then Rational was insisting the slime was from the Care tabs and had me slow water flow, check clean hoses/drawer etc etc. Each time I’d have to tell them to let me know what happens after they cleaned it that night. So this was a long drawn out call where I was led in the wrong direction from the get go. And after it all it was just a door sealing issue. Wowsa.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

12. Likes VanMan812 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I had this same situation on a SCCWE62G I couldn’t fig out what that stuff was either at first, when I first got to call the pipe was clogged with that stuff but hardened... I had to really bang it to get it clear. I ran clean jet function test and it passed. Next day I get a call of jello coming out the bottom and sure enough that stuff was In there again

Post Likes
    Btw how do I add photos on here, mines is narly

Post Likes
    Name:  IMG_0224.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  79.5 KB

Post Likes
    So what caused the slime in the drain pipe? I have the same situation and can’t fig our what’s causing the sludge build up in that piping

Post Likes
    Your door might not be sealing 100% (could be bowed glass) causing the Clean tab solution to leak past the door seal during a clean cycle. Now that drain that’s clogging up... it barely has any slope to it at all. Plus it has a little trap. When the cleaning solution that leaked past the door makes its way into the drain tube it moves so slowly that it starts to coagulate and eventually harden. So check the door for leaks during a clean cycle. The best way to do it is to lower the drip tray, this way you can get eyes on all four sides.

Now Rational will have you believe it’s the Care tabs that go in the drawer. Depending on what index your oven is they’ll want you to add the Care drawer diverter. It’s a little piece of metal that prevents the tabs from getting pushed in front of the pump inlet tube and blocking it. I don’t believe it has anything to do with your issue but that’s what Rational will tell you.

Also, if the glass is bowed AND the unit is under warranty they will only approve the warranty if you use their special gauge tool. It’s basically a straight edge that goes across the bottom of the glass and you slide feeler gauges between it and the glass to determine how the amount of defection.

Post Likes
    Ah yes I have the tool I will check this out , thanks for the info. It’s crazy Cus every time I been out there it never leaks , I always run a unit under function test clean jet it’s a 14 min test, only the.newer software units have em so I always update old units. This unit passed 3x tests but I get that call back... hey we got jello in our drain

Post Likes
    I had a SCC102G that was leaking out the door when washing. Found the same problem, The glass was bowed.

Attachment 812128
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Cheap crap made in China?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Did you have that sludge in the collector down below as well?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in