Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: PVE and R-22

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes

    PVE and R-22

    Hey guys,

    Swapping out a compressor in a small carrier RTU this morning and the replacement Danfoss has PVE oil in it. I’m not finding a definitive “yes” if this is compatible with R-22. Lots of “should be okay” and “probability will work” answers. What do you all know about this?

    Thanks so much.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    17,051
    Post Likes
    1st why R-22? Its still being phased out in 14 months.

    PVE & POE are compatible with all refrigerants, i don't think anyone is using MO or AB oil any more.

    Install a suction filter to collect all the crap that will come back to the pump!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,176
    Post Likes
    Is the replacement pump from the dealer ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks fo the reply.

    To answer your why, my customer is cheap and didn’t want to replace this 19 year old unit so we are sticking the original refrigerant back in.

    I was aware of that POE was compatible but unfamiliar with PVE. And yes, drier all around.

    I did find it amusing in one article I found, said the use of filter drier is no longer needed in a system with PVE...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Is the replacement pump from the dealer ?
    Yes, it is the new replacement for this unit.

    I just got a returned call from them quoting a parts manager bulletin saying the new Danfoss compressors with PVE are compatible with R-22.

    Thanks fellas.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,176
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DerkPerk View Post
    Yes, it is the new replacement for this unit.

    I just got a returned call from them quoting a parts manager bulletin saying the new Danfoss compressors with PVE are compatible with R-22.

    Thanks fellas.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing wrong with askin just to be clear. I respect that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,176
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DerkPerk View Post
    Thanks fo the reply.

    To answer your why, my customer is cheap and didn’t want to replace this 19 year old unit so we are sticking the original refrigerant back in.

    I was aware of that POE was compatible but unfamiliar with PVE. And yes, drier all around.


    I did find it amusing in one article I found, said the use of filter drier is no longer needed in a system with PVE...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I missed this post before posing again. Was the previous pump a burn out ?
    Original as in what the unit was shipped with or what was recovered ?
    Last edited by VTP99; 10-31-2018 at 10:08 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    17,051
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DerkPerk View Post
    Thanks fo the reply.

    To answer your why, my customer is cheap and didn’t want to replace this 19 year old unit so we are sticking the original refrigerant back in.

    I was aware of that POE was compatible but unfamiliar with PVE. And yes, drier all around.

    I did find it amusing in one article I found, said the use of filter drier is no longer needed in a system with PVE...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R-407C is a better choice!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I missed this post before posing again. Was the previous pump a burn out ?
    No worries. No, the compressor was stuck and wouldn’t start without tripping O/L. There was no short to ground and the winding were intact.

    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    R-407C is a better choice!
    Better than??? I agree than 410a but not 22, call me old school.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    17,051
    Post Likes
    R-407C is much cheaper then R-22

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    R-407C is much cheaper then R-22
    Right, but I already have the refrigerant for this unit. So 407c is not better in this instance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,176
    Post Likes
    Typically I see locked rotors after a excessive run time on low charge. Was there a leak in the system and how old is this RTU ?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    The unit is 19 years old and unfortunately was not authorized for replacement so I was on the same thought path as you, run time was the factor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.