+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You will never be happy trying to convert a window unit. Heres Why.

Post Likes
    Wait the post I was referring to just went poof 🤔

2. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    In Taiwan nobody would do this. If you're well versed in HVAC then refurbing a used mini split is infinitely better and easier.

A window unit has one motor for both condenser and evaporator, it's essentially a motor that spins 2 fans on both ends. This saves the number of parts needed but you would have needed at least another blower for the condenser or evaporator in order to make this work. Then sheet metal work to house all of these because the condenser is going to be outside so needs to be weather proof.

I think window unit splashing condensate into the evaporator is smart, not only you deal with the water but that condensate going onto the condenser coil actually improves efficiency as well as prevent excess back pressure in the compressor and causing acid in the system.

I actually thought about setting up a water sprayer system to spray the condenser with a fine most of water for this reason, especially with condensers in direct sunlight, they get extremely hot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    Glad it comes with a fire extinguisher and what happens with the condensate.
    I was thinking the same thing, the condensate would easily evaporate, with the dry AZ air?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by taiwanluthiers View Post
    In Taiwan nobody would do this. If you're well versed in HVAC then refurbing a used mini split is infinitely better and easier.

A window unit has one motor for both condenser and evaporator, it's essentially a motor that spins 2 fans on both ends. This saves the number of parts needed but you would have needed at least another blower for the condenser or evaporator in order to make this work. Then sheet metal work to house all of these because the condenser is going to be outside so needs to be weather proof.

I think window unit splashing condensate into the evaporator is smart, not only you deal with the water but that condensate going onto the condenser coil actually improves efficiency as well as prevent excess back pressure in the compressor and causing acid in the system.

I actually thought about setting up a water sprayer system to spray the condenser with a fine most of water for this reason, especially with condensers in direct sunlight, they get extremely hot.
    That is because you don't have American hill billy ingenuity.

I would just buy a portable, and put the tube out the window, if I did not working with refrigerant piping.

Post Likes
    Nobody swaps compressors on mini splits in Taiwan either. I feel like the first person in Taiwan who did anything like that, and brazed a flare fitting to the inlet and outlet too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in