Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milwaukee man

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor2 View Post
    You'll probably laugh, my metal shop is not very impressive, other than it's mobile. We have an 18' x 8' wide box trailer set up as a metal shop. First metal shop was in the back of a '95 Ford box van, 12' box, dually. I rigged up a blower a couple years ago for "ac" and use a propane heater in the winter. It's a pretty minimal setup, but I constantly ask when i'm getting my real metal shop. I reason if I can build what I do with the trailer, imagine what I would learn to do in a legitimate metal shop.

The machines/tools that comprise my shop are: Pittsburgh machine, 4' tinsmith break, cheap roller/finger break/shear from harbor freight (I only use it to roll turning veins or really tight inside radius fittings, my co-worker asked me last summer "what's this for?" as he ran a strip of metal through the gears for the roller, I've since just about banned him from the trailer), old as dirt easy edger (my great uncle bought it used probably in the 70s), and an array of hand tools, shears, snips, hand breaks, pliers, etc.

We do have an 8' heavy break in the actual shop that I usually have to dig out to bend anything that won't fit in the 4 footer.

Here's some pictures to give you an idea what it's set up like. Attachment 804269Attachment 804270Attachment 804271

As you can see, it can get pretty crammed in there especially if i'm working on bigger fittings. All of my radius or rounded fittings I roll by hand using a trick I learned on here.

Awesome Taylor!!
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    He’ll ya dude. Looks good. I can see some of the spots getting tight but it’s awesome you make on site. So it’s all hand cut and layed out eh? I’ve been making some fittings ALL by hand lately (Pittsburgh and all) and i feel the arthritis starting at the ripe ole age of 28. Machines are just so much cleaner but.. all that’s just not in my price range right now. I’ve been looking at some 3-in-1’s and they seem pretty useful. What brand of 4’er is your brake? Seems to me that’ll be about all anyone would need aside from fabbing horizontal drain pans.
    Last edited by Pres1227; 10-31-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Misspelled layed out

Post Likes
    https://www.trick-tools.com/Tennsmit...iABEgI7R_D_BwE

This is what's in the trailer. The 8' comes in handy cross braking on larger fittings. It all depends on what you intend to build.
    "If common sense was so common, everyone would have it."

Post Likes
    Beautiful work! A company I worked for also used trailers. It’s nice because each job is custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes young766 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johoff34 View Post
    Beautiful work! A company I worked for also used trailers. It’s nice because each job is custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is very convenient not having to run back to a shop to build. The downside is we work in a variety of areas that range from backwoods can barely get a 4 wheel drive truck up the drive in the winter to downtown city blocks that you might park a couple blocks away and everything in between. Most of our work is in rural or out of city limits settings but I'd say about 50-60% of our jobs we can get the trailer to. We've discussed getting a slightly smaller trailer but I'd definitely need an actual metal shop before we downsize.
    "If common sense was so common, everyone would have it."

Post Likes
    Nice work
    Its easy as you know when you have the head room. Your duct fabrication is top notch!!!
    What do you do when you don't have the head room for that 6 inch bottom section.
    Post some pics if you have them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12