Post Likes

Platform password update

I have the station pw but not the platform on Jace 8000. If I shell in and reset it, won't it wipe out the station too? No backup. Tried the usual ones and even one the customer had.

Post Likes
    Yes if you do not have a backup of the station it will wipe it. Since you have the station password go in and do a backup first.

Post Likes
    Is that a new thing they are doing on jace8/N4? I've reset a couple platform passwords on older systems and it didn't erase the station. Would be a good thing to know if so!

Post Likes
    I don't believe it erases the station if you can access the serial shell debug mode but I haven't tested it. Unfortunately to access this I believe you need platform credentials so it is a catch 22.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by controlgeek View Post
    Since you have the station password go in and do a backup first.
    How do I do that? If I had a backup I could wipe it. Page 9 of the docJace8000startup mentions a USB and pushbutton; have you done that?

Post Likes
    Connect to it with workbench and right click on the station in the tree and then left click on backup station

Post Likes
    99% sure it doesn’t erase anything besides the credentials. Just puts its to the very default, even if it’s a Honeywell, Distech, JCI I’m pretty sure they all go back to the regular Vykon default.
    Now if you’re playing around and hit the wrong thing then yea you can mess it up, which is why if you can you should get the backup before, otherwise when you brick it you’ll have fun ftp-ing in and getting the back up and putting in clean.dist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    So if I have a backup and it does wipe it out and I have to recommission the jace what about drivers. This station has a TAC/Barbara Colman driver. I do not have that driver on my laptop to load into the jace. Will it be contained in the backup? Licenses?

Post Likes
    I do not believe the backup will contain modules. The license should import from the licensing server if you have an internet connection to the JACE.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
    So if I have a backup and it does wipe it out and I have to recommission the jace what about drivers. This station has a TAC/Barbara Colman driver. I do not have that driver on my laptop to load into the jace. Will it be contained in the backup? Licenses?
    You could try logging in with IE using the standard profile to snag any modules you might need. From there, I would try to run the station on your local machine to see if you can get it to start. In rearguards to the TAC driver, I would rummage around in the station files to see if you can find the license file.

I get that this is suppose to be an extra layer of security, but it is beyond ridiculous. If someone has physical access to a JACE and the knowledge of how to serial shell into the device, the chances of that person being unauthorized by the facility are basically zero. Most facilities will not have station passphrases or platfrom passwords, so it will cost them an arm and a leg while the control companies spend hours trying to work around this "feature".