Post Likes

YORK YK with VFD - Loading & Unloading Anomaly

Hey Legends! Hope you are doing well! First time user and poster.
    We have picked up a site with a few YORK YK Chillers with VFD's. Im unfamiliar with the YORK machines (TRANE for Life) haha and would like to get my head around them. Got a few issues with how they operate. motor at 49hz and inlet guide vanes at 4% with 55% current load, variable flow CHW 14'C in 6.5'C out CDW 24'C in 29'C out, 1.25 D/P no surge being detected. Why is the Chiller running the motor at pretty much 100% and trying to use the guide vanes at such a low position to maintain setpoint. I believe the Turborcors and TRANEs have the guide vanes open 100% and use the motor speed to maintain the setpoint then use the guide vanes last, is this correct or am I going mad?
    Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Yorks record surge points in a map if it gets corruppted with bad data from cooling tower problems tube problems etc it recods surge point wont run in those conditions ever agian until the map is cleared.

Also 57 d ew and 44 lw on evap side looks high 13 deg .Delta at that low load

What is your design data?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Your delta T looks off for PRV not open. Need more data.
    Design information with a good log.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Likes Fraxis liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JEF1980 View Post
    Yorks record surge points in a map if it gets corruppted with bad data from cooling tower problems tube problems etc it recods surge point wont run in those conditions ever agian until the map is cleared.

Also 57 d ew and 44 lw on evap side looks high 13 deg .Delta at that low load

What is your design data?

Hey mate,
    Thanks heaps for your response.
    Supply is 12 in 6 out but it was running at minimum flow.
    Do you know the password to reset the surge map. Already logged in with the old 0000 and 1380 but it asks for another code to clear the map.

Post Likes
    keep in mind the surge map records the Hz, DeltaP and the PRV position. if any of those items are inaccurate, resetting the map won't help...it will just surge at those same points and you will be back to where you started. verify that the pressure transducers are accurate and the PRV position sensor is accurate. then you can reset the surge map.

most technicians focus on the surge map in the wrong manner. many understand the items i described above but they also think that fixing those items will fix the surge map...it doesn't.

even with accurate values, many chillers will still surge, record the surge in the surge map and then the chiller will avoid those points...it can still be a frustrating issue. those surge points are real...but some of them can be removed and never have them come back.

if you have fluid flow issues, a low refrigerant charge, fouled tubes, etc. then you will see a surge at those points. but if you fixed those issues, you wouldn't have a surge at those points at all. so the best way to prevent the issues you are seeing is to fix the chiller, then clear the surge map, then have a trouble-free chiller.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

Technically speaking, they are all heat pumps.

7. Likes WYLBEK, JEF1980, Fraxis liked this post
    Post Likes
    Typically we find that some of the surge map points may have been stored when the chillers were being commissioned or set-up, I usually advise techs to return to a site a few months after commissioning , when everything has stabilised and clear the surge map, it takes a year or so to build up an average picture of the seasons and load profiles to plot the map, trouble is most techs either forget to clear the map, can't be bothered or a different tech goes back. If the PRV potentiometer is still accurate, the suction and discharge transducers still accurate and the frequency read-out still accurate then the surge point can be accurate, but, and here is a big but, the chiller can be operating at a stable condition, vanes open 100%, speed as slow as required based on lift, if the customer or the Facility guys then change the flow quickly the chiller will become unstable and possibly surge , a York VFD chiller is , under normal conditions, operating close to surge already so small changes can send it into a surge. You can clear the map , but if the same procedures and conditions exist then it will gradually build up the same 'wall' and you will end up in the same place maybe 6-12 months later. You could try changing the surge sensitivity if it is set to 0.3 , up it a little. OK that was my 'advice ' hat, I cannot pass on the surge clearance code because, from the other point of view, why, when you know nothing about the chillers is the customer paying you as the 'expert' to look after his assets?

Post Likes
    Set the ref float higher and getchya some gas!! Ensure youve got flow and the 80-90f condenser. 50-40f evap. H20. U didnt tell us the approach temp or pressure drop design td, the more info the better. Drop a log on here and we can tell u evenmore

Post Likes
    You wont give him the codes. Ahahahha ive read so many stupid questions on here tonight. “Why do i have to have water flow tonheat up the chiller? Lol” “i cant get my danfoss soft start running on a ucp2 lol”. “ am i low in refrigerant?? “. No info” lol.

Post Likes
    Ill give you the codes. This is getting comical. Fill me in on what happens next please.

Post Likes

Don’t do it just yet

Quote Originally Posted by chiller guru View Post
    Ill give you the codes. This is getting comical. Fill me in on what happens next please.
    Seriously,a lot can happen using the codes without being totally knowledgeable about the chiller operation and controls.
    Use at your own reputations risk.

Post Likes
    While were at it give me your software version and Ill give you admin password also