Hi, I recently bought a new house in Northern Virginia and am looking at a whole home humidifier. I've read a lot about steam vs evaporative humidifiers but would like advice specific to my situation. My house is ~7000 sf in total split between 3 levels - 2500sf main level, 2500sf walkout finished basement, 2000 sf upper level (center area is open to the main level). I have an 11 year old Goodman gas furnace for the main and basement levels, and a separate gas furnace for the upper level. We mostly live on the main level so I was planning to just get one humidifier for that unit. There is plenty of space in my utility room and I have space on my panel for electrical (~$0.12/kwh). The main/basement thermostat is an Ecobee 4 and I would want it to control the humidifier. Our main floor is 80% wood flooring and ~50% of it has vaulted ceilings. I'm guessing the basement level will be okish humidity-wise without the humidifier. My wife is from California and can't live without a humidifier in winter here so we'd keep the humidistat set towards the higher end of normal. Our water is not hard.

Would I be better off with a steam or evaporative humidifier? Aprilaire? 400, 600, or 800? I know how much the units cost, but any guesstimate on the maintenance costs would be appreciated.