+ Reply to Thread

Thread: suction filter shell ??

Post Likes

suction filter shell ??

Just curious what other guys do, if you install a suction shell outside of the unit on the line set do you insulate it, if you do how ?

Post Likes
    Why are you putting a suction filter in? If you are cleaning up after a burnout, then you will be removing and/or replacing that filter in a week or two, so why bother insulating it. For the most part, suction filters are not supposed to be a permanent part of the system.

If I were to insulate one, I would use Armaflex tape.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    Most insulation companies make a flat sheet that you can wrap around. You can also ask for round tube insulation that fits the can although most don’t stock the larger sizes.

If I bother to install the canister, I always leave it in. I may install pleated filters or leave a standard core but why bother taking it out once the system is cleaned up?
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Pressure drop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    Why are you putting a suction filter in? If you are cleaning up after a burnout, then you will be removing and/or replacing that filter in a week or two, so why bother insulating it. For the most part, suction filters are not supposed to be a permanent part of the system.

If I were to insulate one, I would use Armaflex tape.
    that is why we went the shell and core type, it allows you to replace the filters as needed, of course we will be going back and permanently installing the pleated type filter as well as changing the oil but thats wasn’t my question, its about insulating the shell, in my opinion if we wrap the shell with aramflex tape it’s going to look like sh**,, i think i’ll get a sheet of insulation and rubatex as jayguy suggested, thanks guys

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newbe0507 View Post
    that is why we went the shell and core type, it allows you to replace the filters as needed, of course we will be going back and permanently installing the pleated type filter as well as changing the oil but thats wasn’t my question, its about insulating the shell, in my opinion if we wrap the shell with aramflex tape it’s going to look like sh**,, i think i’ll get a sheet of insulation and rubatex as jayguy suggested, thanks guys
    I haven't had issues with replaceable core filter canisters rusting, is your concerned with dripping 5" armorflex fits over the shell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I haven't had issues with replaceable core filter canisters rusting, is your concerned with dripping 5" armorflex fits over the shell
    no, its on a roof and honestly i was going to leave it as is because im like you, i’ve never seen one rust, i was just curious what other guys do

Post Likes
    I wouldn’t be opposed to leaving a pleated filter/screen in place. But I wouldn’t leave a desiccant core filter in the suction line long term.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I wouldn’t be opposed to leaving a pleated filter/screen in place. But I wouldn’t leave a desiccant core filter in the suction line long term.
    Screen is supposed to be removed when the pleated filter is installed.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newbe0507 View Post
    Just curious what other guys do, if you install a suction shell outside of the unit on the line set do you insulate it, if you do how ?
    I've seen them both ways, but most of the time they are not insulated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Screen is supposed to be removed when the pleated filter is installed.

I was talking about the combo pleated with screens....maybe I’m misspeaking about the different types of suction filters???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I was talking about the combo pleated with screens....maybe I’m misspeaking about the different types of suction filters???
    Part# 6171-5 screen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Part# 6171-5 screen
    Does that mean i have to go back on that roof and remove the screen?

Doubtful!

Post Likes

suction filter shell ??

Why type of system is this going on? In asking only out of curiosity, I work on mainly light commercial RTUs(5-25 tons)
    and always wondered if there was a shell type drier that can be used in place of a solid core.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in