Thread: What are the internals like on the American Standard Silver 13/14/16

Post Likes

Question What are the internals like on the American Standard Silver 13/14/16

I have a fair estimate for an American Standard Furnace and A/C to replace the 25 year old furnace and A/C and that are at end of life. Given a 10 year timeframe the pricing difference between the Silver 16 vs the Silver 13 is a wash given energy costs. So, I'm looking at the reliability part. I like simpler over fancy. In the American Standard Silver series is the difference in the 13/14/16 units just the size of the condenser coil in the outside unit or are the different controls in the 16 that contribute to higher efficiency? And, are the differences going to affect reliability or repair costs?

Post Likes
    Only difference is size of condenser coil and if you want 16 SEER, you'll need a high efficiency blower motor inside. Otherwise, scroll compressor, high & low pressure switches, most will have a swept wing fan blade. Only diff is some of the 13 and maybe 14 SEER units have LG compressor instead of Trane's Alliance which is like a Copeland. We've never lost a LG an American Standard or Trane but have lost a few in Allied/Lennox units.

In Chicago, unless a utility rebate pays for the cost of a 16 SEER and you are getting a furnace with ECM, I'd go with the Silver 13.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply! I did the math using a seer calculator. The cost difference quited is about $600 between the 13 and 16, and the projected cost electiric cost difference over 10 years is about $600. I'm having an S9V2 Furnace with the variable speed ECM put in. The Trane Alliance compressor is more or less reliable than the LG? Since the cost is not much different between the 13 / 14 / 16 SEER units the long term repair costs make a bigger impact on the choice for me.

Post Likes
    Ah, just looked around a little. Copeland has a good reputation, I see, and Alliance and Copeland were said to come off the same assembly line in a post I found. I have that right?

Post Likes
    We are an AlliedAir dealer... for 7+ years...
    We have never lost an LG compressor.

Having said that... we are careful about installation.

Installation is more important than the box... or the name on the box.

Find a contractor that is fussy about details... they are the ones that give you the value for your $$$.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Alliance is a joint venture between Ingersoll Rand and Copeland. They have a plant in Louisiana. But I've seen Copeland numbers on Alliance compressor boxes so not sure if all Alliance are made in USA or not. They've been good compressors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in