Post Likes

Lennex Furnace from the 50s

Hi I bought my very first home last summer. I had my furnace looked at prior to winter last year is was/is working in tip-top shape. Now that winter is upon us again, I am trying to figure out how to replace the filter on it. I believe it to behind the flute pipe but I want to be sure and possibly find a manual for this furnace. I have contacted the last HVAC tech to see if I could get the information off of them and they are now retried. I have reached out Lennox directly and they are looking to see if they have the manual. I have attached photo's of the furnace and the model number is GHR5-95M.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Likes
    I believe you will find the filter behind the flue pipe. Usually that is a split door that comes off in 2 pieces, the filters I have seen on Lennox downflow are also 2 piece. Your may be different but the reason for the 2 piece would be so you don't have to disconnect the flue pipe to replace the filter.

Post Likes
    That is what I was thinking too. The piece of behind the flute pipe is one piece but the top of furnace in that area has 4 screws keeping it in place. I believe that that comes off and the piece slides out the top. Now this may be a silly question, it says I am going to need a 24x10 blanket filter, where would be the best place to purchase one?

Post Likes
    Your unit may have a metal filter rack that opens to replace a cut piece of rolled filter?

Possibly you have a return air filter grille that the filter is mounted at the return grille?

May be a belt drive blower instead of direct drive?

May not even have any filters

Post Likes
    Pushing 70 please get the heat exchanger checked!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Your unit may have a metal filter rack that opens to replace a cut piece of rolled filter?

Possibly you have a return air filter grille that the filter is mounted at the return grille?

May be a belt drive blower instead of direct drive?

May not even have any filters
    Should be 2 racks in the top section of furnace, each one would hold a piece of roll filter cut to size. Counterflow furnaces used 24 filter roll as marked on the unit.

Post Likes
    I wonder if that's the Lennox model with the cast iron heat exchanger?

I think the Lenox part number for the filter material you need is: LB-71455

It's called: Hammock Filter Material (because of the shape of the rack it typically goes on)

If the way the filter rack works isn't obvious to you - check back here for instructions.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Is that thermostat wire original? It almost looks like it says Made in Mexico with a year under those words by the gas valve. If so, they sure got an early start with outsourcing parts....