Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

bad odor from air vent

hello techs, Got a service call request for a restuarant, customer complaint everytime they turn on air codition unit in the store they smell bad odor out the vents to the point that they shut off the unit. It was described as poop smell, i never came across this type of service call,but i can figure maybe the condensate drain is connected to a sewer line & backing up water or some dirty gudder but not sure. I figured share this with you guys if any one had this type service call may be some one can share with me,i would apreciate it.thanks

Post Likes
    Rtu?split system?duct lined with insulation? Something "rodents" dead in the duct.

Post Likes
    Is it a RTU ?

Does it have outside air intake?

Are their soil stacks anywhere near the RTU?

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by nytech28 View Post
    hello techs, Got a service call request for a restuarant, customer complaint everytime they turn on air codition unit in the store they smell bad odor out the vents to the point that they shut off the unit. It was described as poop smell, i never came across this type of service call,but i can figure maybe the condensate drain is connected to a sewer line & backing up water or some dirty gudder but not sure. I figured share this with you guys if any one had this type service call may be some one can share with me,i would apreciate it.thanks
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Rtu?split system?duct lined with insulation? Something "rodents" dead in the duct.
    dont have to much info on the job,probably spoke a little early the customer didnt give me to much detail if things works out,will be making visit to the job this weekend.thanks for looking in

Post Likes
    not sure I just got the call today & customer didnt provide much info on the odor,its near by state,if it works out I will make visit to the restaurant & update. thanks for reading my post

Post Likes
    The smell might be coming from the vent lines on the roof getting sucked into the unit. If the roof has a soffit extend the vent lines to the top of that.

Post Likes
    When you mention vent lines on roof,your talking about the black pipes about 3 or 4" in diameter that stands vertically used for sewer or some types bldg plumbing vents ? odor might be sucked through the vents in to the duct or fresh air intake?

Post Likes
    Last contractor didn’t get paid so he left a in the return
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    A handful of shrimp shells is far more effective and longer lasting.

Well; I mean from what I've Heard anyway. <g>

PHM
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Last contractor didn’t get paid so he left a in the return
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    A handful of shrimp shells is far more effective and longer lasting.

Well; I mean from what I've Heard anyway. <g>

PHM
    ------------
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=crazzycajun;25584064]Last contractor didn’t get paid so he left a I will see if he didnt pays me I will leave a bigger one🤭

Post Likes
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    I sent my oldest and her mother to Ireland so they are gone. My youngest daughter just re-moved out of my house so she had Sunday Dinner at her new place this past weekend.

Her man; John, was there and showed pictures of it while he told a story about 'the last guy who just left'.

John works for some kind of high end auto type place. And this 'been there a few years' guy from the shop decides to leave. A nice and well thought-of type - everybody got along with and liked him. The guy gives a month's notice, says goodbye to everyone, they have a going-away party for him. His last day was a Friday.

On Monday the first people to arrive to work thought the placed smelled 'a little funny' - but after some more people came in and the place got going again it was all fine again.

Tuesday morning was a little worse but they opened some windows or something and forgot about it.

John had been off for those two days but got their early on Wednesday. He said the smell was staggering, overpowering; "worse than a dead body" was his comment. When people started to straggle in he told them and they related how they 'thought something was wrong' on Monday and Tuesday.

John searches and zeros in on a big dead fish behind some seldom used test gear under some shelves. He gets it out with a shovel, they get it all mopped up, and they puzzle over it. WTH?

The smell doesn't really dissipate and the next morning it is Much Worse. So they all start to search. And they keep finding fish all day long. <g>

The fish were tucked into remote corners, in little used tool boxes, up on top of high shelves, anywhere the fish were unlikely to be easily discovered.

They can't figure it out - everybody liked the guy, he seemed to like everybody there, he liked his job, and said so. He had always been a model employee and did nice work with a smile on his face.

No forwarding address, phone number disconnected, no social media input since the week he left. Nobody knows where he went. He said he had gotten a new job but nobody had ever called this place as a reference.

So I guess you just never know just What is in somebody's head. They eventually had to call in a smell remediation company to get rid of the smell. <g>

They were all big whole fish; John thought they were red drum. Gutted but with the heads on. A couple dozen - this guy was Serious! <g>
    PHM
    --------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast