Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    But that is exactly what I just said.

PHM
    ---------
    Well how about that.

I didn't put your post in context with the post to which you were replying. :grin:

So I mistakenly thought you were saying that the nozzle pressure drop was less than the distributor tubes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Im doing a strange coil tomorrow only has 2 distributor lines... cont recall if its 1.5 or 2 tons but the tubes are pretty small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I did a conversion the other day I had an old russell coil that was originally for R-12. We changed the condensing unit and converted the system to 404. Kept the existing evap but changed the valve. But after couple of weeks we had a freeze up issue where the ice would build on top row of evap. So I thought it was wrong nozzle in there. It's a two pass coil. So I called Russell and they said that they don't use a nozzle. So can you get away from nozzle if it's only two pass. Is it only used for 3 pass or more? Or is that Sporlan thing? Today I changed another new Russell coil. And also didn't come with nozzle? So I am not sure if Russell don't use one. I done other coils Heatcraft and Tranton and would all ways come with nozzle. But I did work with my co-worker and he would never use one even if the came in the bag. System did work with no issue so I just wonder how important that nozzle is?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drage93 View Post
    I did a conversion the other day I had an old russell coil that was originally for R-12. We changed the condensing unit and converted the system to 404. Kept the existing evap but changed the valve. But after couple of weeks we had a freeze up issue where the ice would build on top row of evap. So I thought it was wrong nozzle in there. It's a two pass coil. So I called Russell and they said that they don't use a nozzle. So can you get away from nozzle if it's only two pass. Is it only used for 3 pass or more? Or is that Sporlan thing? Today I changed another new Russell coil. And also didn't come with nozzle? So I am not sure if Russell don't use one. I done other coils Heatcraft and Tranton and would all ways come with nozzle. But I did work with my co-worker and he would never use one even if the came in the bag. System did work with no issue so I just wonder how important that nozzle is?
    Not all distributors have nozzles. A venturi type distributor doesn't use a nozzle because the nozzle's mixing function is done by the venturi. The difference is a nozzle type distributor may be used for a wide range of loads simply by replacing the nozzle, whereas the venturi type is sized for one specific load.

You buddy is wrong by not installing a nozzle in a nozzle type distributor. The unit may cool, but it's not getting the proper refrigerant distribution to the evaporator.

Russell's reply you got only ,meant that their evaporator came with a venturi type distributor, so it doesn't use a nozzle.

This may be helpful to further explain the differences between a nozzle type and a venturi-type distributor:

http://www.hccoils.com/wp-content/up...ION_PART_6.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123