Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I usually hit them with a bit of pipe dope but I guess they are not supposed to be sealed with anything

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jf1202 View Post
    I usually hit them with a bit of pipe dope but I guess they are not supposed to be sealed with anything
    Well... throwing a dab of pipe dope on them really isnt sealing them..... its lubricating the surfaces so they will grind together smoother. Screw pipe is metal to metal seal but without the dope on there its nearly impossible to get them threads to mesh tight enough to seal...... and then... when it comes to taking it apart..... the thin film of lube makes breaking the fitting apart easier.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

3. Likes captube liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by micdundee View Post
    absolutely right on that. if you can break a bulldozer you can oblong a gas pipe fitting!
    yep, that especially without a doubt applies to copper, copper / brass unions ... copper unions oblong very easily
    people ask, ' skills, are you working hard or hardly working ? ' I reply, ' you mean am I working hard or smartly working ? '

the refrigerant sacrificed some of its soldiers to boil off so they could cool themselves

the house of cards has been knocked over

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    After I started to only use USA made fittings and pipe, life became a lot easier. An 1 1/2 steel union is about 3x the price of a HD Chinese, other fittings about 2X. 10's & 20's of US steel about 30% more. It adds up, but saves in labor and makes for a better job when the pipe threads easier and the fittings screw in the same depth, instead of 5 turns on one, and bottoming out on the other. Also it's nice to have a 90° elbow that's actually 90°.
    your pricing is correct. I do not like that either, but how much is your customer's life worth? and what if it were your family living in the home? something to think about over a few bucks extra profit!
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel7829 View Post
    I have had a bad batch of unions here lately probably 3 out of 5 seems to leak from the threads in the middle.But this is at 40 psi of compressed air on the main supply line under the house,branches for range,fireplace,and or dryer if gas..Of course I do not test the union with compressed air at the unit itself "as per orders from higher up" as concerns it would blow the diaphragm out with the gas valve even when its closed.I was told by a vendor rep they see around 200 psi from the factory closed.Gas company here connects the union and takes of our end cap when they inspect and see that its holding its 40 psi even though it will never see that from natural gas.I was told from higher up to put a thin layer of dope on the threads I assume gas company suggested that Idk nothing has ever been said or regected.Guess it depends on location and inspector.
    I’ve had a few 1/2” unions lately where the ring snapped while tightening , astounding the kind garbage material we buy from the third world to contain our dangerous chemicals.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevejoe11 View Post
    I’ve had a few 1/2” unions lately where the ring snapped while tightening , astounding the kind garbage material we buy from the third world to contain our dangerous chemicals.
    These where 1/2" as well..Actually had a 3/4" tee that had a crack in the middle very poorly manufactured.And was a pain to change as had to take several feet of pipe loose.

Post Likes
    I hate china

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12