Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by asanta27 View Post
    Could someone please explain what a "true startup" entails?

Our startups seem pretty thorough but I have no idea since I am so green.
    That's really a loaded question... Every one is different. If it's applicable then I'm confirming that there are no loose wires, line set sizes are correct and system charge is correct, voltages and phasing, breaker sizes, water lines, flow rates, fan speeds, economizer set points, air flow, gas pressures and combustion setup is correct, testing safety's and accessories that are installed to confirm proper configuration with the buildings controls and the units themselves. If units aren't networked or addressed correctly I will correct the issue if its a simple fix or let them know what needs to be done to correct it if it's a big problem. That's what comes to mind off the top of my head anyway.... It really depends on what you are working on. It can be a simple roof top package that just needs a few tweeks here and there to work optimally, or it can be a cascade style server room system that requires a lot more attention to details and checking over of the work that was done to make sure it was done correctly so the system will operate properly.

In short, turning the power on and walking away would not be a correct start up. Testing all the functions and adjusting the system so it operates correctly is a proper start up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    that guy, do you have a form that you fill out when you do startups? Or do you do this all intuitively?

Could you please PM me the form if so?
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    That's really a loaded question... Every one is different. If it's applicable then I'm confirming that there are no loose wires, line set sizes are correct and system charge is correct, voltages and phasing, breaker sizes, water lines, flow rates, fan speeds, economizer set points, air flow, gas pressures and combustion setup is correct, testing safety's and accessories that are installed to confirm proper configuration with the buildings controls and the units themselves. If units aren't networked or addressed correctly I will correct the issue if its a simple fix or let them know what needs to be done to correct it if it's a big problem. That's what comes to mind off the top of my head anyway.... It really depends on what you are working on. It can be a simple roof top package that just needs a few tweeks here and there to work optimally, or it can be a cascade style server room system that requires a lot more attention to details and checking over of the work that was done to make sure it was done correctly so the system will operate properly.

In short, turning the power on and walking away would not be a correct start up. Testing all the functions and adjusting the system so it operates correctly is a proper start up.

Post Likes
    that guy, do you have a form that you fill out when you do startups? Or do you do this all intuitively?

We have a generic start up sheet. Most install manuals have a start up sheet. The most important start up is done intuitively though. Do what you feel needs to be done so you can walk away and not worry about whether or not the equipment is gonna work right.

Post Likes

I prefer to use the form that is required by the manufacture because I find following a generic form allows for a lot of stuff to get missed, because once you fill out the numbers it's easy to stop looking even if there are items that are not in on the form. That means often there are things that should be checked but if you add those things that get missed to the form then you have a 20 page document where most of it doesn't apply because it is so generic. It's best to look at each piece of equipment individually and proceed from there. I also find it quicker than reading and crossing out all the items that do not apply. In the back of the manuals there is usually the start up sheet for that specific piece of equipment. It would be best to take a snap shot with your phone of each of them as you come across new ones if you want a hard copy.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Doesn't look like I can send you a PM. Have you ever received a PM? Maybe put your email address in your profile.

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

6. Likes asanta27 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Just added my email address to my profile! Thanks BBeerme!

Post Likes
    I agree with BBeerme.
    Stay there for a while and SUCK UP THE KNOWLEDGE.
    Do some work on the side, ask questions, ask if anyone needs any off hours work on a project that's commercial, and more.

Make those 3 years you're there count so that when you do decide to leave and go solo, you're way ahead of the curve than the majority of people in the field.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234