Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Chimney Liner Install Concern

I just had a new chimney liner installed. The roof was leaking badly around the chimney, so the contractor removed the chimney above the roof and installed an aluminum chimney liner. After the contractor left, I inspected the liner in the attic and it appears the weight of the liner is being held by aluminum tape. Is this up to code and is this safe? If not, what is the proper way to fix the issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Likes
    That’s not supported properly. And the liner comes with a cap for the top.
    It is not to be connected to a single wall pipe. The single wall pipe must have 6” clearance to combustible materials.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Agreed this would not be up to code. The chimney needs to be B Vent (double wall) where it penetrates roof. Wood would need to be cut back to provide 1” clearance on all sides of pipe. The liner would need to be connected to the chimney with a liner adapter which is a mechanical fitting to ensure a safe connection. Basically those pictures are from a contractor who doesn’t know what they’re doing. If they argue about changing it let them know you will be getting it inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

RE: Chimney Liner Install Concern

Thank you for the advice...I called the contractor and he said that he would fix it...Do the hookups on the bottom of the liner look correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Oh my.!
    Both appliances appear to have been burning poorly. They MAY burn better now, but they very well may not. (Meaning possibly worse)
    That needs work! I'll add that it looks dangerous, (the work just performed and the existing)
    I'll word it more strongly. It looks like real possibility of flue gas spillage exsists.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    Oh my.!
    Both appliances appear to have been burning poorly. They MAY burn better now, but they very well may not. (Meaning possibly worse)
    That needs work! I'll add that it looks dangerous, (the work just performed and the existing)
    I'll word it more strongly. It looks like real possibility of flue gas spillage exsists.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I just turned on the heater and I can feel warm gas escaping from the "T Pipe" in the basement...I think I need to call my local inspector. Should I call a building inspector for this?

Post Likes
    I wouldn’t let that “contractor” back in my house. Nothing about that is right or safe. You cannot bring the liner more than a few inches outside the chimney. So him using a chunk of liner the hook up the water heater is wrong and against code. I wouldn’t trust that guy to clean my furnace let alone vent it. Cut your losses and hire a professional I.e. not the cheapest. I would recommend getting that furnace and water heater inspected by someone who is combustion certified so you know both appliances are safe and drafting properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveO2 View Post
    Thank you for the advice...I called the contractor and he said that he would fix it...Do the hookups on the bottom of the liner look correct?
    Please tell me the valve with the red handle is NOT the gas valve!

Post Likes
    EVERYTHING is wrong! It is potentially immediately dangerous. Turn off the appliances and have all the venting replaced.
    And please pay attention to pecmsg’s question. That water valve is NOT safe on a gas pipe.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    EVERYTHING is wrong! It is potentially immediately dangerous. Turn off the appliances and have all the venting replaced.
    And please pay attention to pecmsg’s question. That water valve is NOT safe on a gas pipe.
    What do you mean by "replace all venting" Does the chimney liner also need to be replaced? Does anyone have any recommendations on who I should call for the Pittsburgh area? I already hired the most expensive guy to do the job at $1800 because I thought I was getting a good job.

Post Likes
    Yes, it must all be replaced. The chimney liner has factory ends that must be in place for it to be approved. The liner is not to be used in pieces.

As for finding a good contractor, there is a link in my sig to a locator for site members. We take pride in our profession more than most.

12. Likes icy78 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I'm not going to replace a brand new liner...but I will have all of the other issues corrected.
    Last edited by Special-K; 10-13-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Remove certain content

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveO2 View Post
    I'm not going to replace a brand new liner...but I will have all of the other issues corrected.
    Hi Dave

Even so much as a mention of legal action is prohibited here. We're sorry you're having these issues, but please don't bring any legal talk up.

Thank you

Mod Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast