Post Likes

Spray painting rusted furnace blower wheel and housing with Metallic Paint top coat?

Hello guys,

My hvac guy cleaned the furnace blower wheel and housing really well outside and then he spray painted it with Restoleum " "Metallic Finish". He said that doing this helps a bit contain the rust on the wheel and housing.

The wheel and housing were rusty and flakey as you'd probably seen 18yrs old units under the house can get.

He did not scrape or prepare the surfaces, just cleaned them and dry them, then spray them on top of the rusted surface.
    The type of paint by restoleum was a top coat for inside finishing in a metallic finish.
    It was not a rust inhibitor or primer and paint or an outside inside paint.

This was done yesterday and I can still smell the paint when the air is circulating in the house.

Restoleum stated that this paint will start flaking as it does nothing to contain rust and it was designed for inside applications etc.
    At least it withstands 200 degree temps, but rust will do it's thing and the I will start seeing flakes of paint or will be breathing toxic paint particles for a while?

What can I expect from having the wheel and housing spray painted with this top coat?

thanks for any insight into this.

Post Likes
    You can probably expect replace the blower motor in the near future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    That wheel should be replaced at minimum. Also I wonder why it’s rusting? Humidity or drain problem? Being under the house should not effect the inside of the unit, as it should be sealed from crawlspace air completely. I think you have more problems than a dirty wheel. I have cleaned (soap/water and/or air hose) tons of blower wheels and put back in service without incident. Balance is very important in a wheel, just like your car. When it’s out of balance other things can break. He probably had good intentions, because that’s a lot of time and work. Why not just replace the wheel? Bigger question is Why is it rusting that bad

Post Likes
    Hi,

I think it was a drain problem. He replaced the trap to help it drain better and got rid to the U shape trap for a flatter style trap.
    The guy was really nice and he did spend a lot of time working on it, but at the end of the day it seems that I am left with a problem that will require more money to fix. He also blew up the blower motor when he put it back together. Apparently it shorted with water or who knows. He replaced it what one he had in his truck and unfortnately that motor is 3/4 HP 5.4 amps and what I had was a 1/3HP 2.9 Amps. So now I am also trying to figure out if that 2.5Amps increase will mean more costly electric bill every month and if the bigger HP motor will somehow damage my 18 yrs old system somehow?

So painted wheel and bigger motor. Those are my two concerns.

Post Likes
    You think the wheel will damage the new motor from the paint peeling and getting into the motor?

Post Likes
    You need to get a pro in there and see what’s going on. Maybe a new wheel and motor could fix it, but is it worth it?

Post Likes
    There will be a new motor in there, but not sure what to make or do about the top coat paint on the wheel. At least he should have used a paint with rust inhibitors and for exterior use instead of just a top coat for furniture. what a mess. The guy was nice and worked all day, so I am not feeling too good about having him scrape the paint and do it over or what. Although at the end of the day, it is me who is left with the problem.

Post Likes
    Air flow is critical. Too much air moving is just as bad as not Enuff. That wheel should
    Be replaced at minimum. And airflow needs be checked. In my opinion anyway.