Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contractor installed 3/4 HP Furnace Blower Motor replacing a 1/3 HP motor. CONCERNED!

Post Likes

Contractor installed 3/4 HP Furnace Blower Motor replacing a 1/3 HP motor. CONCERNED!

Hello,

Hope you could help me here and sorry for the write up.
    I have a few concerns about a furnace blower motor replacement.

An HVAC contractor came to my home to do a furnace tuneup on my older Heil unit.
    The unit is under the house (crawlspace). He removed the motor, wheel and housing in order to wash it off.
    When he put everything back together, the motor burnt out and he ended up replacing it with one he had in his truck.

I had:
    GE 1/3 HP, Permanent Split Capacitor, 1075 Nameplate RPM, 115 Voltage, Frame 48YZ
    (can't post link as it is my first post, but you can google the above description and get the specs from the first google result)

He replaced it with:
    FirstChoice Direct Drive Furnace Blower Motor, 3/4HP, 3 Speed, 208-230 Volts, 1075 RPM, 5.4 Amps
    (can't post link as it is my first post, but you can google the above description and get the specs from the first google result)

He stated that I was getting an upgrade and that my old blower motor was using one speed and now the 3/4hp motor he installed will be at medium speed for heat and full speed for cold.
    He also replaced the relay and capacitor.

I am concerned that this higher HP motor may cause some premature failure somewhere in the system as it is at least 18yrs old.
    I am also worried that the higher amps motor will consume a lot more electricity and my bills will be higher as I tend to keep the fan on circulating mode to move the air in the house.
    The motors are the same RPMs, so not sure if it is pushing more air as it is a higher HP and that will be bad for my system somehow or my ducts?

Please let me know if I should have these concerns, expect a much higher elec bill or premature failure, or what to look out for and keep an eye on.
    Thanks a lot for your insight.

Relevant info:
    My unit outside is a 3 Ton older Heil Heatpump NHP036AKA1 with a compressor UPKA-035jaz
    Fan motor at the Condenser unit (if this helps) is a 1/3HP 208/230 volts 1075rpm 1 speed 48Y 1.9amps

Note: There was a sticker on the furnace from the original factory installed furnace blower motor and it reads that it had a 1/2HP 208/230volts FLA 3.2 MODEL NUMBER BH3036SKB1 MFR NO: NBH3036SKB1 STYLE BEA36A
    This makes me think that this unit originally had a 1/2 HP motor and then the previous home owner had it replaced with the 1/3hp GE motor at some point before I bought the home 15yrs ago. I never had and issue with the GE 1/3 motor even if as it was less HP that the originally installed and lasted the full 15yrs until yesterday.

Post Likes
    What's the furnace voltage 115 or 220 volt. If it's 220v odd how you can get 115 feeding the existing blower without some trickery.

Calling for a regular PM ( Preventive Maintance ) possible water got into the existing motor while cleaning blower wheel and shorted it out once everything was reinstalled and started.

Did they charge you for the 220volt motor?

If anything running a 120volt motor draws upwards of twice the amprege draw of the newer slightly oversized correct 220 volt motor compared to data plate.

You do not mention the amprege draw on the data plate of the 1/3HP 115v motor to compare. The new motor is a three speed, does not mean low, medium, high speed the amprege draw is always 5.4 amps. or running at that number.

They did not mention the discrepancy between a 115v motor compared to a 220v to You?
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 10-12-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Post Likes
    WOW
    Has this industry gotten this bad or homeowners think we’re this dumb!

4. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    What's the furnace voltage 115 or 220 volt. If it's 220v odd how you can get 115 feeding the existing blower without some trickery.

Calling for a regular PM ( Preventive Maintance ) possible water got into the existing motor while cleaning blower wheel and shorted it out once everything was reinstalled and started.

Did they charge you for the 220volt motor?

If anything running a 120volt motor draws upwards of twice the amprege draw of the newer slightly oversized correct 220 volt motor compared to data plate.

You do not mention the amprege draw on the data plate of the 1/3HP 115v motor to compare. The new motor is a three speed, does not mean low, medium, high speed the amprege draw is always 5.4 amps. or running at that number.

They did not mention the discrepancy between a 115v motor compared to a 220v to You?
    CORRECTION The older 1/3hp Motor was 208-230Volts Frame 48yz.
    I made a mistake and did not type in the last few numbers of the model and found the 115v version. Sorry!

The Amp draw on the 1/3 HP GE motor was 2.9 Full Load Amps (Model 5KCP39JGM440T)

The new 3/4 Amps is 5.4 amps 208-230volts frame 48Y (missing the Z if that matters) (Model # Y4643)

So the new 3/4 HP motor is 2.5 amps MORE than the previous 1/3 HP motor and it is a 48Y instead of 48YZ frame.

I am assuming he used the correct capacitors for the new 3/4HP motor and whatnot.

He also, did not charge me for the new motor, but used what he had in his truck to get me going.

So that's it, I have this situation. Will I be using twice the electricity since the Amps is almost double what I had with the 1/3 motor?
    If the motor runs at 5.4 amps regardless of lower speed, then it sounds like I did not receive an upgrade, but a more expensive to run motor?
    And will this motor screw anything in the system by being bigger than what even stock was at 1/5HP according to the old furnace sticker?

Thanks again and sorry for the volts confusion.

Post Likes
    Originally you stated the unit took a 1/2HP motor, now you say 1/5HP. Is this an actual gas furnace or an Air Handler? If it's a gas furnace I know sometimes Contractors upgrade to a larger blower motor when a A/C or Heat Pump coil is installed due the extra resistance of the air going through the coil, hence the larger 1/3 HP motor.

Who's to say the 3/4HP motor he installed was new, even if it came in a box. Not unusual to have a good functioning used motor for emergency repairs.

I do not know where you live, but guessing with a Heat Pump, and the long run times, as your using it in both heat, cool mode yes I can see a little increase in electric rate.

I would have them change out the 3/4 HP motor as the brackets holding the motor is rated/sized for a smaller motor, in your case a 1/5 HP. A 3/4 HP is physically larger and heavier and may put undo stress on the bracket while running. I would tell this Contractor to install a similar 1/3HP ( if this is a gas furnace as stated due to having a coil ) or OEM sized ( if a Air Handler ) and amprege draw motor at their cost. IMO.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 10-13-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    WOW
    The industry has been this bad for a long long long time. And its teh home owners that suffer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatPumpTN View Post
    CORRECTION The older 1/3hp Motor was 208-230Volts Frame 48yz.
    I made a mistake and did not type in the last few numbers of the model and found the 115v version. Sorry!

The Amp draw on the 1/3 HP GE motor was 2.9 Full Load Amps (Model 5KCP39JGM440T)

The new 3/4 Amps is 5.4 amps 208-230volts frame 48Y (missing the Z if that matters) (Model # Y4643)

So the new 3/4 HP motor is 2.5 amps MORE than the previous 1/3 HP motor and it is a 48Y instead of 48YZ frame.

I am assuming he used the correct capacitors for the new 3/4HP motor and whatnot.

He also, did not charge me for the new motor, but used what he had in his truck to get me going.

So that's it, I have this situation. Will I be using twice the electricity since the Amps is almost double what I had with the 1/3 motor?
    If the motor runs at 5.4 amps regardless of lower speed, then it sounds like I did not receive an upgrade, but a more expensive to run motor?
    And will this motor screw anything in the system by being bigger than what even stock was at 1/5HP according to the old furnace sticker?

Thanks again and sorry for the volts confusion.
    It will only use the wattage equal to the work it is doing. It may have a very short life span though.

Post Likes
    WOW
    Go to the below link to see what home owners get from some contractors.

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...nstall-Concern

Post Likes
    Originally you stated the unit took a 1/2HP motor, now you say 1/5HP. Is this an actual gas furnace or an Air Handler? If it's a gas furnace I know sometimes Contractors upgrade to a larger blower motor when a A/C or Heat Pump coil is installed due the extra resistance of the air going through the coil, hence the larger 1/3 HP motor.

Who's to say the 3/4HP motor he installed was new, even if it came in a box. Not unusual to have a good functioning used motor for emergency repairs.

I do not know where you live, but guessing with a Heat Pump, and the long run times, as your using it in both heat, cool mode yes I can see a little increase in electric rate.

I would have them change out the 3/4 HP motor as the brackets holding the motor is rated/sized for a smaller motor, in your case a 1/5 HP. A 3/4 HP is physically larger and heavier and may put undo stress on the bracket while running. I would tell this Contractor to install a similar 1/3HP ( if this is a gas furnace as stated due to having a coil ) or OEM sized ( if a Air Handler ) and amprege draw motor at their cost. IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The industry has been this bad for a long long long time. And its teh home owners that suffer for it.

It will only use the wattage equal to the work it is doing. It may have a very short life span though.
    Hi again! Thanks for replying.

I live in Nashville and have an all electric HeatPump split system. Furnace in crawlspace under the house.

The factory installed sticker on the side of the furnace shows a 1/2HP 208/230volts FLA 3.2 MODEL NUMBER BH3036SKB1 as stated on the original post, but it was late last night when I replied and mixed up the 1/2 with 1/5. I apologize. It is hard to keep up with all these specs and under stress.

When you google the model number shown on the original furnace sticker, the 1/2 HP motor (BH3036SKB1) you get a website (Name of direct purchase sites is not permitted here) that sells you a 1/3 H.P. 3-Speed 2.9 amps 1075 to 1100 RPM 208-230 Volt Blower Motor (Universal Replacement Motor) and they state that this 1/3 HP blower can be used in the ICP equipment models BH3036SKB1.
    So I am guessing this is the reason the previous home owner had the 1/3 HP 2.9amp installed as a replacement to the 1/2 hp 3.2amps. He was just offered this smaller motor as a direct replacement for ICP parts.

So to recap this mess I have created for you guys.

Before: 1/3HP 1075rpm 2.9amps 230volts 48YZ
    After: 3/4 HP 1075rpm 5.4amps 230volts 48Y

The whole purpose of this Furnace tuneup and cleaning was to help the system run more efficiently, better and save on electricity.
    Now it seems that this bigger motor is almost twice the amps and I will be spending more money on electricity, but is it a lot more or just a little?
    And also I am running the risk of the motor being heavier and putting stress on the bracket and may fall?
    Also shorter life span and then soon I will have to pay for a new motor plus installation?
    At least it is running at the same 1075RPM right so I am not increasing the CFM and stressing the compressor or other parts of my system?

I need to be informed and know the drawbacks and issues this new motor can cause, so that I can explain them to the contractor and not be smooth talked into keeping it. I am sure he will not be happy and will try to explain why this motor is an upgrade as he stated. I feel bad for him since he had good intentions and worked hard, but at the end of the day I was left with a problem that can be costly.

Thanks for the replies and patience.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Post Likes
    I would discuss with the Contractor your concern, and have them install a OEM replacement as you mentioned the 1/3 HP as being one. To me you only had a PM check and the existing motor was working fine, so why would it be your fault or why would you have to accept their results if you have doubts as you seem to have. To me you have a legitimate concern.

Will the existing mounting bracket and securing grommeted bolts hold up to the heavier longer motor? Certainly is possible, do you want to chance it?

To me if they are a reputable company they should do that for you at their cost.

Did they give you a manufacturer motor warranty if not possible it's because it's used?

Also for less confusion the unit under your crawl space is called a Air Handler. The term furnace is for combustion, such as oil or gas heat. You have a Heat Pump with or without electric heat backup from reading your post.

Others here can chime in with their recommendations and you can do as you wish but that is my recommendation.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 10-13-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Post Likes
    Yes. I appreciate your recommendation and feel the same way and thanks for clarifying. It is air handler and I do have electric heat backup, I think located in the air handler (couple coils)

Any insight on the questions I had on my previous post regarding the effects of the 3/4HP motor will be appreciated very much, as I would like to be prepared for this conversation and be able to explain my case as to why this motor is not good for my system. (ie much higher elec bill, premature failure, etc?)

note: He also painted my blower wheel with spray paint. He used a top coat metallic finish. Stated it would help with the rust, but it was the type that didn't have a primer or a rust inhibitor in it. It was just the indoor type by restoleum. Called them up and they said this paint will start flaking and peeling. The least need is to have to get a new wheel too, but if that paint peel will start flying into my house or into the ducts and motor etc, then it is a bad thing. He had good intentions though, I guess he just used the wrong type of paint. What a mess. Do you think this is worrisome too?

thanks

Post Likes
    Yes you can mention the anticipated higher electric bill, how much would it be? to me minimal but it a legitimate concern. The thing with a physically heavier and probably longer motor is the centering of the motor on the band/ring of the bracket. Due to the longer length of the motor body the band/ring may not be mounted in the center to offset or distribute the weight evenly on each side of the ring. It may be mounted 1/3 of the band/ring, ( as an example only ) meaning 2/3 of the motor is not secured or the weight is not evenly distributed putting undo stress on the arms and grommeted screws. Also some motors are for vertical installation while others are both, don't think you have an issue there but I never researched the spec. On that motor.

Lastly I would say I'm not satisfied.

In regards to the last part of your question about the spray they used, you asked that question in another post and got several comments. I really don't have anything to add.

Post Likes
    Thanks.. weight of the 3/4HP is about 6lb heavier according to some specs I was comparing. That is a lot more so you are spot on.
    I wonder If I should use the blower less until he comes despite the weather getting in the lows to avoid issues.

I will call him today.

What do you think about the spray painted wheel thing? If I have to bring him back I need to address this or just leave it.

and lastly, I see that most 1/3hp replacementes are 3 speeds with low med and high and I had a 2 speed with low and high. Would it be better to get a 3 speed and use the med and high speed vs a low and high?

best

Post Likes
    I'm guessing the motor is longer also and not just heavier, I did not research that part as that's a homework task. I would go with the same motor they removed or similar as what you had for all those years, looks like they still make them. Two or three speed.

In regards to your blower wheel, if it has not been compromised ( losing the weight balance, pretty hard to tell unless pulled and looking closely. ) and you do get them to install a new motor it's not difficult to remove blower Housing assembly so it's not a complicated time consuming task, if you have free access to the blower door panel. I would have them wire brush or equivalent the lobes on the wheel, then either wash out with water and rag dry as best can and let dry ( time constraint ? ) or use a little nitrogen or air then wipe clean and paint. At 18 years I would not dump to much more money into your system.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 10-13-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Post Likes
    The starting torque of the 3/4HP motor will rip the hub off the squirrel cage fan.

Get the proper motor

Post Likes
    The starting torque of the 3/4HP motor will rip the hub off the squirrel cage fan.

Get the proper motor
    Makes sense. Should I stop using the heat until I get this guy back? It's getting cold in here low 50s. Don't know yet when he'd be able to come, but I could get some portable Heaters to use it less or stop using it at all to prevent damage.

Thanks for the heads up.

Post Likes
    IMO I would just run the thing until they come, hopefully tomorrow. But if you have readily available portable heaters at your disposal you certainly can go that route. The blower wheel was rated at 1/2 HP motor initially. It's not like 3/4 HP is a giant jump, its not like going from a 1/5 HP to 3/4 HP. Im sure you must have used it after the service call, no?
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 10-13-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Post Likes
    I would just run the thing until they come. The blower wheel was rated at 1/2 HP motor initially. It's not like 3/4 HP is a major jump. Im sure you must have used it after the service call, no?
    HI, yes I have been using it since Thursday night when it was installed, but I never thought it could cause much harm until now. I'm hoping this thing can last a week of normal auto operation at least without screwing things up. By the way, thanks for your input.

Question., I've been reading you should never replace a motor with a lower amps one but the one I had was 2.9amps 1/3 and the factory installed was 3.2amps 1/2. If I get another 1/3 motor should it be at leat 2.9amps or it could be a little less as long as it is the same rpms and HP. I've seen a lot for sale that are a little lower than 2.9. Just curious.

Post Likes
    Doesnt the data plate say what the amprege draw is, if so have them match to that or slightly higher amp. This isn't rocket science, if the one you had lasted all those years ( 2 speed ) then have them install one, as they seem to be readily available, or match to data plate HP and amprege.

You did say you where going to call them tomorrow no? Why would it take them one week to replace, providing they say we made a mistake and make right by you.

Post Likes
    Will do and maybe even go with a factory 1/2 HP 3.2 as it was originally if that is an option for him. Although might just be better to match the 1/3 and be done and move on. Thanks again man.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatPumpTN View Post
    Will do and maybe even go with a factory 1/2 HP 3.2 as it was originally if that is an option for him. Although might just be better to match the 1/3 and be done and move on. Thanks again man.
    Post 12 12:26PM " I will call him today. " I'm guessing that call do not go through, sorry I thought you said you where going to call them tomorrow.. I was going to change it to say today but you already responded....anyway let us know what happens...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in