Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    You're missing something here, if the system was designed to run on high speed, if you run it on a slower speed, you have the possibility of not enough air across the heat strips, and tripping the high limits, or even worse burning a heat strip into. If you really want it done right, because at this point you don't know who's done what, google for a product manual, or call the mfg. there's only one way, the right way.
    Lots of air handlers came with a 3 speed motor, but only use 1 speed. The contractor is/was suppose to set it to the proper speed for the system when the system was installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    The new motor is a three speed, does not mean low, medium, high speed the amprege draw is always 5.4 amps. or running at that number.
    Huh? If a 3 speed motor doesn't mean low, medium and high, what does it mean?

Also, just because a replacement motor is oversized, it doesn't mean it will automatically use more electricity. The amp draw amount listed on the name plate is NOT the amount it runs at. The actual measured amp draw will correspond to the amount of work it is doing. If the size of the blower wheel and the pitch of the blades requires 1/2 horsepower to spin at 1075 rpm, throwing a 3/4 horsepower motor in there won't change anything. It will still spin at 1075 rpm and will still be doing 1/2 horsepower worth of work, and will probably draw very close to the same amount of amp draw as a 1/2 hp motor would be drawing.

Actually it would use slightly more electricity since it would be less efficient, since motors are most efficient when running close to full load amps, but probably not enough to notice in your power bill.

But as beenthere said, it's not good for an oversized motor to run "unloaded" for extended periods of time, so therefore it probably won't last as long as the original one did. Motors are happiest when they're doing close to the amount of work that they're rated to be doing.

Also, the thing you (HeatPumpTN) said about the guy painting your blower wheel is pretty odd. I've never heard of that before. I wouldn't expect any type of paint to stick very well to an old dirty blower wheel that's probably made out of galvanized steel. I doubt the flaking off paint will really hurt anything, unless it's blowing out of your vents onto your white carpet or something, but it doesn't seem like it was a very smart thing for they guy to do.

Please let us know if you get anywhere with trying to get the company to make things right. Good luck.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

Also, just because a replacement motor is oversized, it doesn't mean it will automatically use more electricity. The amp draw amount listed on the name plate is NOT the amount it runs at. The actual measured amp draw will correspond to the amount of work it is doing. If the size of the blower wheel and the pitch of the blades requires 1/2 horsepower to spin at 1075 rpm, throwing a 3/4 horsepower motor in there won't change anything. It will still spin at 1075 rpm and will still be doing 1/2 horsepower worth of work, and will probably draw very close to the same amount of amp draw as a 1/2 hp motor would be drawing.

Actually it would use slightly more electricity since it would be less efficient, since motors are most efficient when running close to full load amps, but probably not enough to notice in your power bill.

But as beenthere said, it's not good for an oversized motor to run "unloaded" for extended periods of time, so therefore it probably won't last as long as the original one did. Motors are happiest when they're doing close to the amount of work that they're rated to be doing.

Also, the thing you (HeatPumpTN) said about the guy painting your blower wheel is pretty odd. I've never heard of that before. I wouldn't expect any type of paint to stick very well to an old dirty blower wheel that's probably made out of galvanized steel. I doubt the flaking off paint will really hurt anything, unless it's blowing out of your vents onto your white carpet or something, but it doesn't seem like it was a very smart thing for they guy to do.

Please let us know if you get anywhere with trying to get the company to make things right. Good luck.
    Yes my phrasing of that sentence could have been more clearer. Thankx

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

This matches what the contractor said to me. As far as not drawing the full 5.4amp on the 3/4hp motor.

He came today, went under the house and measured the amp draw of the 3/4 motor he installed last week to show me.
    He explained to me that the 3/4HP motor was wired to use 1/2HP on med and low. The high speed was not being used.
    He measured that Med speed was for cooling and was drawing 2.9amps and the low speed was drawing 2.6amps.
    With this setup I was more closely matching the specs of the original 1/2HP motor the system was designed with (3ton) and that motor drew 3.2 FLA.
    The motor that blew up was 1/3hp 2.9amps but he stated he did measure the amp draw after he cleaned it and before it blew and it was on 1 speed on high and drawing 2.2amps.

So to recap.
    He ended up leaving the 3/4HP motor he installed last week, but now I know this motor runs at 1/2HP and it draws 2.9amps on Med speed for cooling and 2.6amps for heat. A little bit more amp draw than the 1/3hp running at 2.2amps on high all the time, but I guess it is not really that much more to be noticeable in my electric bill? Let's hope not, because I am done with this blower motor chapter He also stated that the heavier and longer motor won't cause any issues with balance or weight the way it is installed in my air handler.

The heat is working well at 20 degrees difference vent vs grill and we did not do a tune up of the heat pump. He mentioned it is not that dirty and it would be better for me to do it in spring.

Thoughts?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatPumpTN View Post
    This matches what the contractor said to me. As far as not drawing the full 5.4amp on the 3/4hp motor.

He came today, went under the house and measured the amp draw of the 3/4 motor he installed last week to show me.
    He explained to me that the 3/4HP motor was wired to use 1/2HP on med and low. The high speed was not being used.
    He measured that Med speed was for cooling and was drawing 2.9amps and the low speed was drawing 2.6amps.
    With this setup I was more closely matching the specs of the original 1/2HP motor the system was designed with (3ton) and that motor drew 3.2 FLA.
    The motor that blew up was 1/3hp 2.9amps but he stated he did measure the amp draw after he cleaned it and before it blew and it was on 1 speed on high and drawing 2.2amps.

So to recap.
    He ended up leaving the 3/4HP motor he installed last week, but now I know this motor runs at 1/2HP and it draws 2.9amps on Med speed for cooling and 2.6amps for heat. A little bit more amp draw than the 1/3hp running at 2.2amps on high all the time, but I guess it is not really that much more to be noticeable in my electric bill? Let's hope not, because I am done with this blower motor chapter He also stated that the heavier and longer motor won't cause any issues with balance or weight the way it is installed in my air handler.

The heat is working well at 20 degrees difference vent vs grill and we did not do a tune up of the heat pump. He mentioned it is not that dirty and it would be better for me to do it in spring.

Thoughts?
    He'll be back!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    He'll be back!
    when? in 5 years or next month?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatPumpTN View Post
    when? in 5 years or next month?
    that i cant say but i wouldn't bet on 5 years.

They do make multi HP motors but i've had bad luck with them. We use them for emergencies until the OEM motor can be installed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    that i cant say but i wouldn't bet on 5 years.

They do make multi HP motors but i've had bad luck with them. We use them for emergencies until the OEM motor can be installed.
    Well I guess if I called him back he'd probably tell me to go to H E L L..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234