+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mounting a scroll compressor

Post Likes

Mounting a scroll compressor

Hii

I have one circulating cylindrical system on which I have to mount one scroll type compressor.
    I want to know whether the compressor will work if my system is revolved/rotated?

If it will not work then please advise some cooling system which can be fitted on rotating/revolving platforms..

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Post Likes
    The rate of rotation would be the concern, speaking strictly of oil management.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here but are you talking about wanting to invert the compressor? Or tilt it in some way? Or are you talking about the compressor rotating? Will all the components move together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Rotated on which axis?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by sanojsingh4 View Post
    Hii

I have one circulating cylindrical system on which I have to mount one scroll type compressor.
    I want to know whether the compressor will work if my system is revolved/rotated?

If it will not work then please advise some cooling system which can be fitted on rotating/revolving platforms..

Thanks for your reply in advance.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm missing something here but are you talking about wanting to invert the compressor? Or tilt it in some way? Or are you talking about the compressor rotating? Will all the components move together?

Yes, u are right. I mean the same, inverting, tilting the compressor along with all the connected parts...
    Please provide your suggestion if this is possible with any compressor system.

Post Likes
    The compressor system will be rotated/revolved along with base plate. I mean whether it can be tilted, inverted?
    Please suggest if this is possible with any other type f compressor system?

Post Likes
    An automotive type compressor might be your best bet for that application, I say this only because when I took one apart I don't recall seeing an oil sump in it. Keep in mind that I only pulled it off the shelf and played with it for about 20 minutes, once about 10 years ago. I'm probably wrong about this because automotive systems do use oil. In not sure how they manage to deal with off road vehicles tilting and sloshing about, though their axis is not usually more than 30 degrees tilt.

What exactly is the application here and what budget do you have for this project? You may have better luck utilizing a refrigerant pump (no oil required) rather than a compressor but that would introduce other limitations and obstacles and design challenges to the project that would need to be looked at.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    So far as I can picture, the only compressor that can successfully operate in any position / orientation is a screw compressor. And that seems unlikely to suit your capacity requirements.

What is the application?

Can a water chilling system be mounted to a non-moving base and then have cold water piped through hoses to the moving portion of this machine?

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sanojsingh4 View Post
    The compressor system will be rotated/revolved along with base plate. I mean whether it can be tilted, inverted?
    Please suggest if this is possible with any other type f compressor system?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Name:  centrigugal_01.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  187.0 KB

Name:  Centrifugal-Ride_02.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  35.1 KB
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    There are scrolls that are designed for horizontal operation so you may want to look at those as an option.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Name:  centrigugal_01.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  187.0 KB

Name:  Centrifugal-Ride_02.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  35.1 KB
    Yeah, we never did get a response to your first post.

There isn't enough info to really provide them with a proper solution. Until more info is provided then we are just guessing. There are lots I ways to achieve the result I'm sure but I'm not willing to go into detail based on a hypothetical solution that may not even apply.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    An automotive type compressor might be your best bet for that application, I say this only because when I took one apart I don't recall seeing an oil sump in it. Keep in mind that I only pulled it off the shelf and played with it for about 20 minutes, once about 10 years ago. I'm probably wrong about this because automotive systems do use oil. In not sure how they manage to deal with off road vehicles tilting and sloshing about, though their axis is not usually more than 30 degrees tilt.

What exactly is the application here and what budget do you have for this project? You may have better luck utilizing a refrigerant pump (no oil required) rather than a compressor but that would introduce other limitations and obstacles and design challenges to the project that would need to be looked at.

I've also taken apart and rebuilt automotive compressors. While I have also not seen a specific oil sump, I think the compressors are designed for mounting horizontally and the oil lives at the bottom of the body. I can see there could be problems if you orient the compressor with the pulley on top and the oil all drained into the head area.

Post Likes
    Mounting a scroll compressor?? Sounds kinky...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in