+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oil Burner Nozzle Adapter tool?

Post Likes

oil Burner Nozzle Adapter tool?

Hello,

Does anyone know of a tool to retreat and resurface oil burner drawer assembly nozzle adapter? I read that a tool was available to retreat and resurface the nozzle adapter. Perhaps it's a tool no longer made.

Any info would be appreciated.

Any special way yo remove the nozzle adapter from the drawer assembly without damaging it?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Not sure what you need? Drawer assembly? Nozzle adapter? What model burner? Afg? Af2? Pics? Becket has good tech support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I'll sell you mine for 1 million dollars. George used to get them made, but no longer does. I'm sure any competent machine shop/tool & die maker (what's that...lol) could make you one.Name:  IMG_2939.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  87.5 KB
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    To add, every nozzle assembly and burner brand is a little different for removal.
    On most Beckett's (light yellow housing), I always check the z dimension. When it's right, I trace the escutcheon plate with a sharpie. Then you can loosen the set screw to facilitate stubborn nozzle assemblies.
    But usually if it's the older type, you can push away from knurled nut (into the burner) to clear it, then rotate it and pull it out. Longer nozzle assemblies sometimes need a 180° turn for removal.
    If it's a L1/V1 type (attached end cone like a Riello), sometimes you have to clear the hole, and push them into the combustion chamber, turn almost 180° to pull out.
    On the rare occasion, you have to loosen the escutcheon plate set screw, slide it forward into the combustion chamber, so you can turn it and remove it. Of course if it's marked correctly you're golden, otherwise you'll have to set the Z dimension again. And that dimension being off by a 1/4" is the difference between clean combustion (almost or 0 CO) to a sooty disaster, (up to 1000ppm CO), so make sure it's right.
    Riello's are easy, you just have to wiggle it a little when putting it back in so the end cone jumps into the center of the end of the air tube.
    Carlin's are also easy, never a problem.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Oh yeah.....A nozzle changer. I forgot they even made those. My 3/4 and 5/8 wrenches still work pretty well. The Z-gauge is a nice tool for setting Becket z demention on anything using an F-head. T-gauge best for a V-head.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    I'll sell you mine for 1 million dollars. George used to get them made, but no longer does. I'm sure any competent machine shop/tool & die maker (what's that...lol) could make you one.Name:  IMG_2939.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  87.5 KB
    A million.....its a deal! I assume most nozzle adapters are similar since all burners use the same nozzles for the most part.(im not talking about gph or angle)

Is that tool the M-E-D #517 Nozzle Adaptor Re-Fracing Tool?

I'm trying to fix nozzle adapters that are leaking/dripping because of over tightening. Trying to find another way to fix them without having to replace them. (Beckett AF. AFG BURNERS MOSTLY). I haven't found the best way to.remove the nozzle adapter from the drawer assembly easily.

I use that orange Beckett electrode dimension tool they sell.
    Last edited by Nytefog; 10-13-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Post Likes

oil Burner Nozzle Adapter tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post

That’s the Z-gauge. Loosen the escutcheon plate, 5/16 screw. That’s the small metal plate with a hole in it, the threaded back end of the nozzle assembly goes thru and connects to the nozzle line. Once that plate is loose, nozzle assembly should slide out much easier. We are talking AFG burners here. Put the z gauge on nozzle and put the assembly back into burner tube. Put threaded end in the hole in the escutcheon plate and gently push forward until it stops, do not force. Now mark the escutcheon plate position, that’s the correct z demention. Remove assembly and remove gauge. Install assembly back into tube. Put plate back to the mark you made, I just use a sharpie to outline the plate. This is for f head type burners only. You should also have the becket t gauge. It does several things. Sets v head. Sets burner wheels, and a few others. Becket offers online classes too. I can post a pic
    Of t gauge if ya need.
    Are you sure it’s the assembly leaking or could it be an “after drip” condition. Do not put anything on nozzle threads. What pump ? Clean cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A million.....its a deal! I assume most nozzle adapters are similar since all burners use the same nozzles for the most part.(im not talking about gph or angle)
    Yes same thread.

Is that tool the M-E-D #517 Nozzle Adaptor Re-Fracing Tool?
    Yes, that's exactly it. A shame he stopped having them made (there is a story).

I'm trying to fix nozzle adapters that are leaking/dripping because of over tightening.
    Common problem. I use the resurfacing tool the first time I touch a nozzle assembly and change the nozzle. Luckily I work for myself so I don't have to worry about other hacks.

Trying to find another way to fix them without having to replace them. (Beckett AF. AFG BURNERS MOSTLY).
    God forbid I lose mine, I'll take the picture, and a nozzle assembly to a tool guy and have one made. The 2 main criteria are the right size thread (to screw in), and the knob that cleans them up is perpendicular to the threads. Shouldn't be too hard to make, and I don't think it's patented. I showed it to the Delavan rep once and he popped a rod. I thought for sure they would start making them.

I haven't found the best way to.remove the nozzle adapter from the drawer assembly easily.
    That's rather odd, did you try my suggestions? I'd say maybe one or 2 out of 100 give me any trouble.

I also use that tool the first time I touch a new burner, and like I said earlier, outline the escutcheon plate so I always know it's right (or had been moved). If it's a swing out door on a boiler, or I'm pulling the burner I just use the metal one. BTW, don't buy those severely overpriced plastic gauges. Hit up Beckett for a few, and if you hit the trade show, hit them up there for a few.

@SuperTech2010 has a good point about after drip as opposed to nozzle assembly damage.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in