Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spliskin View Post
    It's illegal to not put an ECM back in. Sucks but just so you know. CYA
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Please provide proof...?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have had tons of failed EC motors on Russell evaps. I spoke to the factory and is seems they purchased a few containers of Chinese motors that had defective software. No service bulletin that I know of. They just send out replacements.

3. Likes UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlandru View Post
    I have had tons of failed EC motors on Russell evaps. I spoke to the factory and is seems they purchased a few containers of Chinese motors that had defective software. No service bulletin that I know of. They just send out replacements.
    Lets see I was told the motors are fighting each other.

Keep us informed on the newer motors please.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Lets see I was told the motors are fighting each other.

Keep us informed on the newer motors please.
    Sounds like the motors are really fighting the moisture that gets trapped inside. What a $hit show.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Sounds like the motors are really fighting the moisture that gets trapped inside. What a $hit show.
    I agree.

I'm very surprised as to why, what appears to be a common issue with ECMs used in refrigeration, can't be resolved simply by something like encapsulating or potting the printed circuit boards (PCBs) on these motors to protect the electronics from the inevitable moisture intrusion. Heck, it shouldn't be that expensive and certainly would cost a lot less than replacing in-warranty failures by the boatload.

These motors should be able to run totally submerged for several weeks or more in my opinion.

Here's an interesting article discussing such protections for electronics: https://www.electrolube.com/technica...h-do-i-choose/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I agree.

I'm very surprised as to why, what appears to be a common issue with ECMs used in refrigeration, can't be resolved simply by something like encapsulating or potting the printed circuit boards (PCBs) on these motors to protect the electronics from the inevitable moisture intrusion. Heck, it shouldn't be that expensive and certainly would cost a lot less than replacing in-warranty failures by the boatload.

These motors should be able to run totally submerged for several weeks or more in my opinion.

Here's an interesting article discussing such protections for electronics: https://www.electrolube.com/technica...h-do-i-choose/
    The same thing happens in air conditioning applications. Even after they started encapsulating the circuit boards, motors fail for no good reason.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    The same thing happens in air conditioning applications. Even after they started encapsulating the circuit boards, motors fail for no good reason.

If they can't find a motor that'll stand up to basic walk-in cooler/freezer conditions, then they should stop selling these units until they do. If the price turns out a lot higher, that's the price of trying to be Green. Complain to your tree-hugging representatives in Congress about that.

Post Likes
    If they can't find a motor that'll stand up to basic walk-in cooler/freezer conditions, then they should stop selling these units until they do. If the price turns out a lot higher, that's the price of trying to be Green. Complain to your tree-hugging representatives in Congress about that.
    There too busy dodging old girlfriends!

Post Likes
    Its always amazed me how the open air motors last through the abuse in coolers and freezers

On the same token i never imagined a totally sealed ecm motor filling up with water...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Its always amazed me how the open air motors last through the abuse in coolers and freezers

On the same token i never imagined a totally sealed ecm motor filling up with water...
    Makes you wonder if an open frame ECM motor would hold up better.

Post Likes
    And just where would their job security be if they actually solved a problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12