Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 24 of 24
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    16,486
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spliskin View Post
    It's illegal to not put an ECM back in. Sucks but just so you know. CYA
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Please provide proof...?

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    X 2

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ardmore, PA
    Posts
    56
    Post Likes
    I have had tons of failed EC motors on Russell evaps. I spoke to the factory and is seems they purchased a few containers of Chinese motors that had defective software. No service bulletin that I know of. They just send out replacements.

  3. Likes UmmScott liked this post
  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    16,486
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlandru View Post
    I have had tons of failed EC motors on Russell evaps. I spoke to the factory and is seems they purchased a few containers of Chinese motors that had defective software. No service bulletin that I know of. They just send out replacements.
    Lets see I was told the motors are fighting each other.

    Keep us informed on the newer motors please.

  5. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    2,712
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Lets see I was told the motors are fighting each other.

    Keep us informed on the newer motors please.
    Sounds like the motors are really fighting the moisture that gets trapped inside. What a $hit show.

  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil, EC
    Posts
    13,461
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Sounds like the motors are really fighting the moisture that gets trapped inside. What a $hit show.
    I agree.

    I'm very surprised as to why, what appears to be a common issue with ECMs used in refrigeration, can't be resolved simply by something like encapsulating or potting the printed circuit boards (PCBs) on these motors to protect the electronics from the inevitable moisture intrusion. Heck, it shouldn't be that expensive and certainly would cost a lot less than replacing in-warranty failures by the boatload.

    These motors should be able to run totally submerged for several weeks or more in my opinion.

    Here's an interesting article discussing such protections for electronics: https://www.electrolube.com/technica...h-do-i-choose/

  7. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I agree.

    I'm very surprised as to why, what appears to be a common issue with ECMs used in refrigeration, can't be resolved simply by something like encapsulating or potting the printed circuit boards (PCBs) on these motors to protect the electronics from the inevitable moisture intrusion. Heck, it shouldn't be that expensive and certainly would cost a lot less than replacing in-warranty failures by the boatload.

    These motors should be able to run totally submerged for several weeks or more in my opinion.

    Here's an interesting article discussing such protections for electronics: https://www.electrolube.com/technica...h-do-i-choose/
    The same thing happens in air conditioning applications. Even after they started encapsulating the circuit boards, motors fail for no good reason.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  8. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil, EC
    Posts
    13,461
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    The same thing happens in air conditioning applications. Even after they started encapsulating the circuit boards, motors fail for no good reason.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    If they can't find a motor that'll stand up to basic walk-in cooler/freezer conditions, then they should stop selling these units until they do. If the price turns out a lot higher, that's the price of trying to be Green. Complain to your tree-hugging representatives in Congress about that.

  9. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    16,486
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    If they can't find a motor that'll stand up to basic walk-in cooler/freezer conditions, then they should stop selling these units until they do. If the price turns out a lot higher, that's the price of trying to be Green. Complain to your tree-hugging representatives in Congress about that.
    There too busy dodging old girlfriends!

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,833
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Its always amazed me how the open air motors last through the abuse in coolers and freezers

    On the same token i never imagined a totally sealed ecm motor filling up with water...

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Its always amazed me how the open air motors last through the abuse in coolers and freezers

    On the same token i never imagined a totally sealed ecm motor filling up with water...
    Makes you wonder if an open frame ECM motor would hold up better.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    If they can't find a motor that'll stand up to basic walk-in cooler/freezer conditions, then they should stop selling these units until they do. If the price turns out a lot higher, that's the price of trying to be Green. Complain to your tree-hugging representatives in Congress about that.
    And just where would their job security be if they actually solved a problem?

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.