Post Likes

OLD (antique?) Manifold with graphite seals

I found a n old manifold which was set aside as it leaked.
    I pulled it apart and the seals are graphite.I am wondering if among you there are any grey haired technicians that have used and repaired these. I think there were two round graphite seals about 1/4" in thickness.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Post a picture of it.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by brik32544 View Post
    I found a n old manifold which was set aside as it leaked.
    I pulled it apart and the seals are graphite.I am wondering if among you there are any grey haired technicians that have used and repaired these. I think there were two round graphite seals about 1/4" in thickness.

Thanks
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Since its that old freon 12 worked at about 135 lbs on the high side verses 225 for 22. And nobody cared if they leaked a little systems held lbs not oz's ,the only gage to measure vacuum was a mercury manometer and nobody except some chiller mechanic would use one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Post a picture of it.

PHM
    ----------
    Photos will help.
    The low pressure side shows the seal as it should be. Essentially there are two graphite seals which are separated by what seems some hard plastic separator. The high pressure side has the destroyed seal. My cleaning of the high pressure side made it fall to pieces.
    I need to find some equipment that uses similar seals.

The other question is: if the seals are round, how on earth do you fit them? Perhaps they are just wrapped around to a certain thickness (at least that is the impression I get.

I don't know how old it is, but it seems pretty old. I want to bring it back to its splendour.
    Thanks to all that will contribute with their experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    Since its that old freon 12 worked at about 135 lbs on the high side verses 225 for 22. And nobody cared if they leaked a little systems held lbs not oz's ,the only gage to measure vacuum was a mercury manometer and nobody except some chiller mechanic would use one.
    Yes the gauge is calibrated for R12 and R22. this gauge made by Hubbell Corporation in Illinois also measures vacuum.

Post Likes
    https://www.amazon.com/Danco-80793-3...ZKTT8EQDZCGE0Y
    This might work or teflon string packing.

Post Likes
    What you are looking for are: Packing Rings

Just measure the stem OD and the packing ring OD and then order new rings that size.

Although I would look to use polyurethane rings these days.

PHM
    ----------

Photos will help.
    The low pressure side shows the seal as it should be. Essentially there are two graphite seals which are separated by what seems some hard plastic separator. The high pressure side has the destroyed seal. My cleaning of the high pressure side made it fall to pieces.
    I need to find some equipment that uses similar seals.

The other question is: if the seals are round, how on earth do you fit them? Perhaps they are just wrapped around to a certain thickness (at least that is the impression I get.

I don't know how old it is, but it seems pretty old. I want to bring it back to its splendour.
    Thanks to all that will contribute with their experience.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Like PHM said, valve packing seals. You probably can find replacements at a plumbing supply that sells faucet stem seals. They are sized for the stem diameter and the packing nut. Some are flat and others domed so pick the same. I've even bought them at Home Depot for another reason.
    A lot were made with graphite impregnated asbestos material. Great wear resistance if you could find NOS somewhere.
    A piece of Teflon rope might substitute but a seal made for the valve and bonnet would be better. I've roped some valves but a proper seal is better.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Thank you PHM and hvacker
    With your guidance I have been able to find some packing seals online. None in my area. Plumbers' supplies have only teflon tape! I managed to find some Chesterton packing tape in my dad's old stuff but it a cross section of 3/8 x 3/8. Tried to hammer it flat but it is either old or not hammer-friendly.Went to an industrial supplies store and they have larger ones but not my size which is 1/2" OD and 1/4" ID. The tech guy at the store told me that he can't remember seeing manifolds which have the gauges and the 3 1./4" connectors soldered with lead.
    I also managed to pull the valves apart. It took some brute force.
    I have attached a photo of the disassembled valve. It still seems in good nick.
    As Hvacker said, each of the three seals has a tapered end: visible in the photo.
    The store also suggested to get some 3/16th graphite rope. I will resort to this if I can't the proper seals online

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I have graphite packing string that I wrap around leaking service valve stems and it always holds.

Why do you want to put those old gauges in service any ways?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I have graphite packing string that I wrap around leaking service valve stems and it always holds.

Why do you want to put those old gauges in service any ways?
    The graphite packing rings I am looking for have 1/4" ID, 1/2" OD with approx 1/4" thickness...they seem to be simply impossible to find. There are plenty of larger sizes as they seem to be used in the nuclear and marine industry.
    I have been looking for small sized graphite or teflon packing string in my local area with no luck. I am not in the US.

Your question is valid. The manifold was a favourite of my dad that passed away and used them for decades, so I guess the need is more sentimental than practical. I am also fascinated by the long lasting high quality products that were made before the Chinese economy took over.

Post Likes
    The graphite packing rings I am looking for have 1/4" ID, 1/2" OD with approx 1/4" thickness...they seem to be simply impossible to find. There are plenty of larger sizes as they seem to be used in the nuclear and marine industry.
    I have been looking for small sized graphite or teflon packing string in my local area with no luck. I am not in the US.

Your question is valid. The manifold was a favourite of my dad that passed away and used them for decades, so I guess the need is more sentimental than practical. I am also fascinated by the long lasting high quality products that were made before the Chinese economy took over.
    They sell the stuff all over, maybe you can get it shipped to your country.

I bought mine decades ago at a plumbing supply.

It is nice that you are keeping dads memory alive.