Thread: A bit choked

Post Likes

A bit choked

I work in property maintenance. Got a new house, went to check furnace. Found this lovely return boot. It shrunk the duct enough that any filter I put in there implodes from the air velocity. Also note how it gets bigger after the elbow. (Know nothing of its history, but I suspect there was a side-by-side originally).

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    How many BTU's is the furnace?
    How many tons is the AC ?
    How big is the small/new portion of the return duct?

PHM
    -------------

Quote Originally Posted by tjrobb View Post
    I work in property maintenance. Got a new house, went to check furnace. Found this lovely return boot. It shrunk the duct enough that any filter I put in there implodes from the air velocity. Also note how it gets bigger after the elbow. (Know nothing of its history, but I suspect there was a side-by-side originally).

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    If I had to take a guess it looks like there was an old low boy furnace sitting there before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Starts roughly 19x19, goes to 10x20 (yes, 20; the duct isn't kicked so there's an overhang), then to 16x20 for the filter. It's 2.5 tons, 60k. (Edit: tonnage is rough, there's only 3" between the house and condenser so it's hard to read.)

Post Likes
    I'd want to verify that blower speed / air flow rate you have there before I did anything else.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by tjrobb View Post
    Starts roughly 19x19, goes to 10x20 (yes, 20; the duct isn't kicked so there's an overhang), then to 16x20 for the filter. It's 2.5 tons, 60k. (Edit: tonnage is rough, there's only 3" between the house and condenser so it's hard to read.)

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Gas furnaces are about 28" deep. There should be at least a 16x25 filter rack on the outside of the furnace. That furnace appears to have no external filter.
    I don't recall ever seeing a GOOD internal filter arrangement, except for Lennox hammock filters which were a PIA.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    This is what i call an install by a hack