Post Likes

Hoshizaki DCM-270 leaking like a sieve

I bought a 10 yo Hoshizaki dcm-270 for home use from a firehouse. They bought a new one. This one was leaking real bad, but still making ice perfectly. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I figured I could handle a repair.

I plugged it in, and sure enough, it makes ice great, but it leaks about a gallon per hour. I took off the cover panels, and the pan under the gear motor is overflowing with water. I can see the water coming out of the lower bearing area. So I started reading the manuals, and it looks like the auger shaft seal needs to be replaced. There is minimal shuck in the bearing, and the gear motor sounds smooth. There are no marks in the evaporator case. Lots of scale below the drip shield once I took the agitator off, but otherwise pristine.

I am tearing it down, and I got stuck. I removed the agitator and the drip pan, but now I cannot get the auger out.

How do I pull the top bearing mount out? Is it just pressed in, or is there some thread or detent that I need to worry about?

There is a six slot bearing block (that I guess the ice comes through) that I cannot figure out how to remove. I rigged up a puller tool to go through two of the holes in the block and grab under it, but I am hesitant to slap it out with knowing if I might damage something.

Anybody done this before?

Post Likes
    Do you have the service manual ?

Post Likes
    I just figured it out. Had to take off the foam seal between the evaporator and the ice storage, then remove the 3 cap screws. It's like a Chinese puzzle.

Post Likes
    when all else fails read the service manual

Post Likes
    Let us know how the repair was done .
    I like to know any thing in A non standard repair practice .
    Cheers.
    OOOPS!Try again!Well done!

Post Likes
    Oh yeah. Helpful.

The service manual is so vague, that it is not helpful if you have not done it before.

But thank you for your encouraging responses.

When you come to me to have your knee replaced, I'll make sure to tell you what you should have done to avoid wearing your knee out. And that you should have done those obvious things before coming to ask for help.