Post Likes

Question about Fossil Kits

Hello, I'm a homeowner and last year (June 2017)my A/C unit died.

I had it replaced (July 7 2017) with a heat pump and converted to bi-energy. All was fine until Nov 11 2017, when there was no heat. My primary heat never kicked in. I called the AC installer but they told me it was an oil problem and they wouldn't do a thing even though it was still under warranty. I had no choice but to call my oil serviceman, who did come only to confirm that the problem was a control problem. The A/C contractor had initally changed the thermostat and controls. He even showed me how to jump the controls to get some heat in the house. I called back the A/C contractor, who told me somebody would get in touch with me on Monday (Nov. 13 2017) On Tuesday (Nov 14 2017) I got in contact with the sales rep for the heat pump. He told me that they should have come in the first place. A tech spent most of the next Saturday (Nov 18 2017) figuring out what had to be done. A relay had to be installed on the control wiring, because the furnace would shut off when my oil-fired HWTcame on.

Early January 2018, no heat again. The A/C tech came over (Jan 18 2018) and after several hours told me I needed a FOSSIL KIT installed. The heat pump was shut off and the oil furnace kicked in. In the spring, I called the A/C installer to fix this situation. The heat pump was fired up but I was then told that I needed to get my oil serviceman to install the FOSSIL KIT.

Seeing that it's coming up to heating season, I need to get this cleared up: WHO SHOULD INSTALL THE FOSSIL KIT?

Post Likes
    I would find a different contractor.

Post Likes
    The heat pump installer. There are thermostat that will take the place of the kit so I don't know why they didn't install it instead of the heat pump thermostat they put in. This makes me wonder how well the rest of the installation went.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    The heat pump installer. There are thermostat that will take the place of the kit so I don't know why they didn't install it instead of the heat pump thermostat they put in. This makes me wonder how well the rest of the installation went.
    and didnt get it right to start with!

Post Likes
    What does the contract say? Did you hire the Company that installed the Heat Pump that you wanted a Hybrid system? Is it stated in the contract? Is the furnace existing? and they just replaced the A/C with a HP.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    What does the contract say? Did you hire the Company that installed the Heat Pump that you wanted a Hybrid system? Is it stated in the contract? Is the furnace existing? and they just replaced the A/C with a HP.

They came to the house before submitting the quote. They were fully aware that I had an existing oil fired furnace. They proposed a bi-energy system to me! They changed the old A/C unit to a heat pump, changed the thermostat and wired the system for bi-energy. They even made arrangements with the power utility for the new meter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I would find a different contractor.
    After the guarantee is up, I will!

Post Likes
    If it states in the proposal/contract a Hybrid system that you signed then to me its pretty clear its the Installing Contractor who installed the HP problem.

I only asked what the proposal/bid/contract said as you asked who was responsible.

Didnt they simulate the OD temperature to drop to make sure oil came on then simulate OD temperature raising high enough to go back to HP mode on start up commissioning?

Did they bother to check your defrost operation worked also during commissioning your system? If it was to hot ( OD Temperature ) to run in Heat and check, they should have told you to call them in cooler weather to simulate a defrost and check HP operation.

Did they explain sequence of operation to you under different conditions? Does your oil furnace come on while in defrost to help temper the cold discharge air?

Did they check emergency heat mode ( do you have that feature on your t-stat ) to see if HP locks out ?