Post Likes

Oil tank pump out setups

We have been struggling to find an efficient clean and contained solution to when we do pump outs.

Currently my company is using the type of pump you put in like an on road equipment filling tank and some lengths of hose. It’s a mess though and I want to come up with a better option that would be transferable and easily loaded onto any one of our lift gate or rack body trucks.

Anyone have any good thoughts on a setup. I feel like the Vane type pumps are “ok” for pump outs but they don’t really handle any amount of sludge in the oil and either plug strainers or wreck the vanes.

I’ve seen some reversible “gear type” pumps online that I think would be a good option. I’ve also seen people take older Webster oil pumps and use them on a motor but it takes way to long.

My thought would be a 100’ 1” hose on a spring retracting reel mounted on a plastic pallet, 10’ 1” hose on the inlet side of the hose reel to connnect the pump and a waterproof box on the pallet to house the pump.

Anyone have a good setup, and anyone have experience with these “gear type” transfer pumps? I’ve found pumps for light oil online for between 8-1200 dollars which is a bit more than we pay for the GPI pumps but if they lasted longer and were reliable it would be well worth the expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    If your big problem is sludge there are pumps made to handle that. Talk to a pump rep and tell them your entire problem and expectation. If you pick the right pump you won't need strainers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    If your big problem is sludge there are pumps made to handle that. Talk to a pump rep and tell them your entire problem and expectation. If you pick the right pump you won't need strainers.
    The more oil we can pump out the easier it is to move and then get rid of the tanks. I’ll give that a shot on Monday.

Post Likes
    We use a gear pump. Works great. Next to no mess. Fill 55 gal drums up 100’ away while on truck.

Post Likes
    Have you looked into Trash Pumps? They are designed for sediment and sludgy water as well as sanitary waste water. You can get them as gas or electric. I don't know if it would work for your particular application though. Typically as a rule of thumb the size of particulate that it can pump is half the diameter of the inlet port.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Gear pumps are positive displacement and work very well as long as you don't have solids. As thatguy said trash pumps can handle about anything as long as you select one that will handle the maximum size solids expected. If no solids are present I would go with positive displacement but make sure it can't dead head.

Post Likes
    Why don't you call your oil recycler ask them what type of pump they use and do a search for fuel oil pumps and call the manufacture. Good job for office help.or the owner.