Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    LOL, you start drinking early?

Not a supertech, just a service tech. If I was a supertech, it would've never taken three days to dial in that open drive compressor. Talk about boring, repetitive, pain in the ass work. At least with the old school equipment.
    There are ways to make the process as streamline as using lasers.

Just need to use some graph paper and plot out where the shafts are on 2 planes - sideview, and top view. Then you can see where you need to make your moves very clearly.

Or you can use an app. The only trouble with apps, and most software in general is that they limit the movements to the motor typically, which can lead to alot of extra work, especially if the motor is in a higher plane then the driven fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    20 years ago, God had not invented the smarty phone yet; barely had the Internet up and running. So, there were no apps. Don't know about the laser equipment back then, if it was available, I never saw anyone using it.

One problem was that you had to completely loosen all mounting bolts, adjust shims, then completely re-torque. The 'standard' back in the day was 10 thousands of an inch tolerance. That three day job the guy wanted it within 5 thousands of an inch. We were like, okay, it's your dime.

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    There are ways to make the process as streamline as using lasers.

Just need to use some graph paper and plot out where the shafts are on 2 planes - sideview, and top view. Then you can see where you need to make your moves very clearly.

Or you can use an app. The only trouble with apps, and most software in general is that they limit the movements to the motor typically, which can lead to alot of extra work, especially if the motor is in a higher plane then the driven fixture.

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Smarty phones were not, but graph paper sure was.

Lasers were, but certainly not common and super expensive. Pretty sure pruftechnik or ludeca had stuff out 20 years ago.

Post Likes
    The lasers been around for over 20 years, you think they are expensive now? years ago a set would sell for $20K. there were also dial kids that came with a palm pilot and one would enter all the dimensions into it and it would calculate the misalignment for the math challenged.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    The lasers been around for over 20 years, you think they are expensive now? years ago a set would sell for $20K. there were also dial kids that came with a palm pilot and one would enter all the dimensions into it and it would calculate the misalignment for the math challenged.
    I'm a rookie Tech, what would I know about dialing in two shafts?

All I do is drive around and make people happy. Question, what is a dial in?
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    LOL

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I'm a rookie Tech, what would I know about dialing in two shafts?

All I do is drive around and make people happy. Question, what is a dial in?
    Too many beers...lol
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Too many beers...lol

Post Likes
    We use the fluke 830.

I do agree about being somewhat limited with the stationary component. I’ve had several pumps that were all screwed up due to pipe stress and crappy change outs over the years.
    Usually, you’re pretty limited on pump movement anyway.

Really though, the laser kits make it so easy, you would also see, almost instantly, wether or not you’re gonna have to do something with the stationary side.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123