Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

CO detector anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by KidderTX View Post
    Thanks for the input. Im by no means down playing the need for safety, and our industry is rather ignorant about it.

What is the cheapest quality monitor? Not sure my company would fork out the cash even though they should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably the Sensorcon that Jim Davis mentioned.

Just treat it like any other tool you buy, and write it off. But I would bring it up to your company and ask for one.

Osha requires your company to provide you with all safety equipment and training necessary to maintain a safe working environment. And since you are in random buildings with unknown hazards, you can make the case for them to buy you one easily.

Post Likes
    The Sensorcon says its not classified as a safty device. Youll need the Sensorcon Industrial Pro.
    Looks like around a 40$ price difference.
    139 for the cheaper one. 179 , as Jim said, for the other.
    So look for that if you decide to purchase.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Probably the Sensorcon that Jim Davis mentioned.

Just treat it like any other tool you buy, and write it off. But I would bring it up to your company and ask for one.

Osha requires your company to provide you with all safety equipment and training necessary to maintain a safe working environment. And since you are in random buildings with unknown hazards, you can make the case for them to buy you one easily.

Im fully aware of this but after a few other safety item disputes Ive already had with my employer, I dont see this going over well. Id be more likely to get away putting it on a truck stock order if it was available through a vendor than legitimately purchase it. But I definitely going to put this on my list of tools to purchase

Post Likes

CO detector anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by KidderTX View Post
    Im fully aware of this but after a few other safety item disputes Ive already had with my employer, I dont see this going over well. Id be more likely to get away putting it on a truck stock order if it was available through a vendor than legitimately purchase it. But I definitely going to put this on my list of tools to purchase

Im not sure what sorts of safety disputes your having, but when I read that, the very first thing that came in my head was that you may wish to seek other employment.

Your safety and the safety of your co-workers should be your companies number 1 goal.

Even if its not, it should be yours. Im not saying hardline on this safety item, but I would reflect on just what arguments youve had. And, if in any one of those instances, luck played a major role in your not getting hurt, then its time to move on.

Grainger would be the best bet of finding a personal CO monitor in stock at a vendor your most likely to have access to locally.

Post Likes
    Thanks to all for input. Been a week or more trying for company to get it. I think they should. But Im going with the sensorcon pro. No one had anything bad to say about it.

Post Likes
    didnt read all the pages but am very curious about this,

I use a FP SCM4, so if im called out to work on a NG/LP furnace i bring that in zero it hit max and let it hang on the furnace while i'm working on it, then i sweep it around the flue seems and burner box etc..

are you saying these types of meters are not sensitive enough to use for field work as i described?

while we are discussing CO , what if any are you selling or providing customers for in home protection devices , quick on the wall types near bedrooms similar to a smoke detector?

are most not worth the price which are which arent?

sorry for the high jack

Post Likes
    ??? anyone to my above post?

Post Likes
    The SCM4 is a personal protection meter not an equipment diagnostic meter. If it is not temperature compensated it can read CO when none is present. This meter does not verify if equipment is operating safe. It states it is a walk around meter not a diagnostic tool.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    The SCM4 is a personal protection meter not an equipment diagnostic meter. If it is not temperature compensated it can read CO when none is present. This meter does not verify if equipment is operating safe. It states it is a walk around meter not a diagnostic tool.
    so buying the Sensorcon industrial pro wont put me in much better position then i already am, short of upgrading to a actual Combustion Analyzer?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    so buying the Sensorcon industrial pro wont put me in much better position then i already am, short of upgrading to a actual Combustion Analyzer?
    That's right . You really must have a combustion analyzer. It protects you and the customer. Helps you fine tune the equipment. You have numbers that prove its burning safely. Its a great troubleshooting tool. You'll also need a Dwyer 460 draft guage.
    Its good you're interested in it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    icy is correct. There a NCI combustion class coming up in Dallas next week. It will definitely teach you why you need an analyzer, how to use it and how to make money with it. Yes, it will keep your customers safe!
    captain CO

12. Likes icy78 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Hydrogen is highly explosive. I don't know squat about detectors. However, CO is heavier than O2 and will displace it in a confined space like your boat hull. Distance from the source is immaterial. Just think of water flowing down hill and then filling up your hull, and you will get the picture of how CO accumulates. Neither situation is good. Take immediate action to correct this. You need positive ventilation to get rid of CO.

It doesn't take much Hydrogen to create an explosion. I was blown out a truck cab once while jump starting another vehicle. The truck was an Army 2 1/2 ton truck, the batteries are under the seat, and we had the seat up, the windows down and one door open, but sufficient hydrogen was present to create an air burst that threw me 5 feet backwards when I connected the jumper cables (spark). The cause was low battery level, and they were boiling off hydrogen, you could actually see white looking gas coming out of the vent caps. We topped them off with water and the problem was solved. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrisons View Post
    Hydrogen is highly explosive. I don't know squat about detectors. However, CO is heavier than O2 and will displace it in a confined space like your boat hull. Distance from the source is immaterial. Just think of water flowing down hill and then filling up your hull, and you will get the picture of how CO accumulates. Neither situation is good. Take immediate action to correct this. You need positive ventilation to get rid of CO.

It doesn't take much Hydrogen to create an explosion. I was blown out a truck cab once while jump starting another vehicle. The truck was an Army 2 1/2 ton truck, the batteries are under the seat, and we had the seat up, the windows down and one door open, but sufficient hydrogen was present to create an air burst that threw me 5 feet backwards when I connected the jumper cables (spark). The cause was low battery level, and they were boiling off hydrogen, you could actually see white looking gas coming out of the vent caps. We topped them off with water and the problem was solved. I learned a valuable lesson that day.
    CO2 is heavier than air not CO. CO has a molecular weight of 28, O2 is 32.
    captain CO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast