Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

License exam FL state

Hey everyone.

I recently purchased all the reference books needs to accompany me during the license exam here in the state of Florida.

I haven't set an exam date yet.

I want to be prepared as needed.

Im here to ask people who have passed the exam already preferably in Florida state or another.

How should I approach the test?

Should i read and study each page of each book?

Should i just have a paraphrased approach with highlights and tabs?

I found practice exams online should rhat be enough?

Any other preparations you can expose or online or book practice exams?

Etc etc etc.

Thank you all!!!

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Ok, 5 years ago I got my class B Florida license. Here are my thoughts in retrospect:

1: Do not approach it in a nonshwlaunt manner. I literally took 4 months off from work to study. My schedule during this time was to drop my daughter off at school, and hit the books (I believe 17 of them). I would work practice questions, self quiz, etc. and then have my wife quiz me at the end before it was time to pick my daughter up from school.

2: Spend more of your studying time trying to remember WHERE you can find the information, rather than trying to memorize the specific practice questions. I say this because no state test is going to have the same questions as the practice test. Remember that this is an open book test.... which sounds easy.... except with 17+ books... itís not.

3: The testing consists of 2 parts... business and finance, then mechanical knowledge.

You may be a master of both, most are not. I knew a guy who went 3 times and failed the business/finance all 3 times.... but passed the mechanical knowledge portion all 3 times (he gave up). If during study you find yourself struggling in one or the other, switch gears.

4: Do not underestimate the business/finance test!!! LOL

5: Above ALL, practice on where to find the information, rather than memorizing answers. I cannot stress this enough.

6: Iíll explain what I did and why.

When you actually sit down for your testing and start answering.... if you know for sure the correct answer, go for it. If youíre unsure or it is taking too long.... move on to the next question and mark it down.... rinse and repeat.

The reasoning behind this:

You will know by then that you have to get, say a 72% score to pass. Once youíre done with the questions you KNOW you got right, a quick calculation will tell you if you are going to pass. In other words.... donít spend any excess time trying to research a question you canít find. Your time during testing is better spent answering all the obvious ones, THEN research the head scratchers. Remember that both of the tests are timed.

If you still calculate that you wonít pass then rinse and repeat with your uncertain questions.

Concentrate especially hard on labor laws, taxes and ductwork.

The Florida tests are brutal, I can say that from experience.

I wish you the best and hope it works out. I have more information to share on where to go once you pass but will leave it at your discretion to ask.

Sorry, missed this but yeah, only tabs and highlights are allowed..... tab and highlight the HELL out of your books..... remember... WHERE to find the information is KEY! Donít write or notate anything or they will call you out. Both sides of the testing seemed more strict than trying to get on an airplane!

Post Likes
    Thank you im sure ill have more questions once i pass.

Should i highlight and tab myself or take a class which may prepare myself and helo me highlight and tab?

Did you only practice the questions in the books or find a third party practice exam, if so which third party exams did you use?

I see your method during testing and will focus on it.

If i pass one part and not the other do i have to retake both parts or just the one i didnt pass?

Post Likes
    Quick question around this topic: How many people hold on to the books from the A/C exams for their library? All of them, some of them, do you reference them often, some more than others, is some of this reference material available for free online? Just trying to get a gauge on whether to sell all of my exam books (highlighted and tabbed) as a package and then just buy one or two books as required (i.e. code books, etc)? Thanks!

Books are:

Florida Code Mechanical
    Florida Code Energy
    Florida Contractors Manual
    (3) NFPA 90A, 90B, 96
    (3) SMACNA Metal Duct, Fiber Duct, Energy
    Pipefitters Book
    Florida Energy Efficiency Book
    A/C Troubleshooting Handbook
    OSHA
    Trane Manual
    Trane Recip Manual

Post Likes
    Pi Man,

Aside from the OP's questions - I have a few:

What is the difference between a Florida B License and whatever other kind they issue? Is there an A License for example?

Now that you have your Florida License - what is required to keep it? Are there renewal fees? Continuing education requirements? Mandatory insurance requirements?

Thanks.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14 View Post
    Ok, 5 years ago I got my class B Florida license. Here are my thoughts in retrospect:

1: Do not approach it in a nonshwlaunt manner. I literally took 4 months off from work to study. My schedule during this time was to drop my daughter off at school, and hit the books (I believe 17 of them). I would work practice questions, self quiz, etc. and then have my wife quiz me at the end before it was time to pick my daughter up from school.

2: Spend more of your studying time trying to remember WHERE you can find the information, rather than trying to memorize the specific practice questions. I say this because no state test is going to have the same questions as the practice test. Remember that this is an open book test.... which sounds easy.... except with 17+ books... it’s not.

3: The testing consists of 2 parts... business and finance, then mechanical knowledge.

You may be a master of both, most are not. I knew a guy who went 3 times and failed the business/finance all 3 times.... but passed the mechanical knowledge portion all 3 times (he gave up). If during study you find yourself struggling in one or the other, switch gears.

5: Above ALL, practice on where to find the information, rather than memorizing answers. I cannot stress this enough.

6: I’ll explain what I did and why.

When you actually sit down for your testing and start answering.... if you know for sure the correct answer, go for it. If you’re unsure or it is taking too long.... move on to the next question and mark it down.... rinse and repeat.

You will know by then that you have to get, say a 72% score to pass. Once you’re done with the questions you KNOW you got right, a quick calculation will tell you if you are going to pass. In other words.... don’t spend any excess time trying to research a question you can’t find. Your time during testing is better spent answering all the obvious ones, THEN research the head scratchers. Remember that both of the tests are timed.

If you still calculate that you won’t pass then rinse and repeat with your uncertain questions.

I wish you the best and hope it works out. I have more information to share on where to go once you pass but will leave it at your discretion to ask.

Sorry, missed this but yeah, only tabs and highlights are allowed..... tab and highlight the HELL out of your books..... remember... WHERE to find the information is KEY! Don’t write or notate anything or they will call you out. Both sides of the testing seemed more strict than trying to get on an airplane!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    B is up to 25 tons. A is unlimited.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks.

Can you answer any of my other questions?

Oh; and I have another one - is there any Florida regulation which prevents a homeowner from installing his own HVAC system on his own house?

PHM
    -------------

Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    B is up to 25 tons. A is unlimited.

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Thanks.

Can you answer any of my other questions?

Oh; and I have another one - is there any Florida regulation which prevents a homeowner from installing his own HVAC system on his own house?

PHM
    -------------
    After you pass the tests you apply for the license, for which you must show proof of insurance, announce a DBA in the newspaper, and if I'm not mistaken you have to have a minimum "net worth", or at least money in the bank, for them to take your application seriously. There might be a couple other things I'm forgetting.

You can install your own A/C with no issue, but you may still need to pull a permit in your area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.14 View Post

2: Spend more of your studying time trying to remember WHERE you can find the information, rather than trying to memorize the specific practice questions. I say this because no state test is going to have the same questions as the practice test. Remember that this is an open book test.... which sounds easy.... except with 17+ books... itís not.

6: Iíll explain what I did and why.

When you actually sit down for your testing and start answering.... if you know for sure the correct answer, go for it. If youíre unsure or it is taking too long.... move on to the next question and mark it down.... rinse and repeat.

You will know by then that you have to get, say a 72% score to pass. Once youíre done with the questions you KNOW you got right, a quick calculation will tell you if you are going to pass. In other words.... donít spend any excess time trying to research a question you canít find. Your time during testing is better spent answering all the obvious ones, THEN research the head scratchers. Remember that both of the tests are timed.

If you still calculate that you wonít pass then rinse and repeat with your uncertain questions.

Sorry, missed this but yeah, only tabs and highlights are allowed..... tab and highlight the HELL out of your books..... remember... WHERE to find the information is KEY! Donít write or notate anything or they will call you out. Both sides of the testing seemed more strict than trying to get on an airplane!
    Hey thank you for responding to my post. Im sorry its taken a while to get back.

What practice exams and questions did you use to study besides the ones located in the books??

Post Likes
    After you get your Florida HVAC/R License - what is required to keep it?

Are there yearly renewal fees?

Are there continuing education requirements?

Are there mandatory insurance requirements?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    After you get your Florida HVAC/R License - what is required to keep it?

Are there yearly renewal fees?

Are there continuing education requirements?

Are there mandatory insurance requirements?
    Yes yes yes

Post Likes
    https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Che...T_DEFN_ID=2940

Post Likes
    For exam practice, I used the 1examprep.com online prep course which had more than enough practice tests to allow you to become familiar enough with the books to know where to go based on the question. They are $300 each for the Trade and Finance exams, but sometimes they rung 50% off so you can get both for $300 which is the best deal you will find out there on exam prep. The other thing the prep will explain to you will be how to take the test and test strategy, which is crucial to passing the test.

Just wanted to bump my sub-topic question from earlier we're on the exam topic. For people that have passed the exam, do most people sell their all their exam books or hold on to them for their library? Keep some of them (and if so, which ones)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast