Post Likes

Self cleaning filter

Sorry no pics but this is kind of a crazy story. I went out on a second opinion call yesterday, So the other company replaced a txv and then told the customer it wouldnt take anymore refrigerant and it must be plugged up somewhere. He said they needed a new system. When i start the system up its very low on charge. I add about 8lb out of 12 and its cooling pretty good but the suction pressure was about 10-15 psi lower than pressure curve chart suggested.

At that time i start looking at air flow coil and fan is clean, tesp is about .7. I walk up stairs and look at the filter grill in the ceiling and cool air is just pouring out of it. Im thinking hmm what did this guy do

Come to find out this is a 2 zone system with the dampers hidden in the attics and the zone board in another room away from all the equipment.

The kicker is the upstairs return is T’ed into the bypass so anytime the damper opens the upstairs return dumps supply air. And this is no retro job, been like since day one and even had a drawing, fairly new “upscale” home.

After the other zone opened up system was running like a top. At the end all i really did was charge up the system but between this incompetent tech and this incompetent designer it was a frustrating job. After I had a grip on it all, all you could do is laugh.

Best i could figure his hose wasn’t depressing the core or something silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    My bet is he ran out of refrigerant and didn’t want to go buy more so he figured he’ll take take a crack at selling a new unit or just charge for the ‘service’ and move on.

Post Likes
    According to the customer they had not payed him yet.

Post Likes
    Because believe me i wanted him back so i could go home