+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking service T at Receiver discharge valve

Post Likes

Leaking service T at Receiver discharge valve

Hey Guys
    i'm working on a large walk-in freezer condensing unit with a copeland 9rb model semi hermetic compressor.
    i found a leak where a service port T was cross threaded onto the receiver discharge service valve.

1. I was told the only way to repair would be to recover the full charge then repair the leak. is this true? or can i pump the system down by closing suction valve then at low pressure cut out close the discharge valve?

2. the oil in the sight glass looks frothy and low (1/8" above bottom of sight glass while running). i'll get the net oil pressure later today to confirm. i was thinking of changing it while i had the system down repairing the leak. what service ports on the compressor do i evacuate after completing an oil change and/or replacing gaskets?

Post Likes
    Why 2 access T’s?

The T with the arrow is always open th the receiver.

Order a new valve
    Recover the charge and replace.

Post Likes
    Doesn't that one have a Schrader in it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Why 2 access T’s?

The T with the arrow is always open th the receiver.

Order a new valve
    Recover the charge and replace.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post

Most likely not. On those kinds of valve the center port is always open to the system and typically won’t have a shrader core. You just need to keep a good cap on it really tight.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
    Hey Guys
    i'm working on a large walk-in freezer condensing unit with a copeland 9rb model semi hermetic compressor.
    i found a leak where a service port T was cross threaded onto the receiver discharge service valve.

1. I was told the only way to repair would be to recover the full charge then repair the leak. is this true? or can i pump the system down by closing suction valve then at low pressure cut out close the discharge valve?

2. the oil in the sight glass looks frothy and low (1/8" above bottom of sight glass while running). i'll get the net oil pressure later today to confirm. i was thinking of changing it while i had the system down repairing the leak. what service ports on the compressor do i evacuate after completing an oil change and/or replacing gaskets?
    The method you describe to pump it down won’t do anything to pump out the receiver.

To replace that valve you’re going to have to recover the charge.

Post Likes
    are you sure it is cross threaded or is just the flare damaged ? could be cross threaded but that is a lot of cross threading to be cross threaded

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    Most likely not. On those kinds of valve the center port is always open to the system and typically won’t have a shrader core. You just need to keep a good cap on it really tight.
    You're probably right. I know a few times on compressor mounted suction service valves, theres been a schrader in one. But maybe thats a different type?

Post Likes
    They typically don't have a Schrader because there's usually a permit gauge connected to it..It's actually the best way to mount such gauge because the valve can be backseated and not have to be mid seated. Mid seated relies on the packing to hold back the charge.

10. Likes icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    And here I was told a while back that the only way a service port would not leak is if it has a non leaking core. The cap is just a dust cap I was told and you can't trust it not to leak without a good schrader core.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    And here I was told a while back that the only way a service port would not leak is if it has a non leaking core. The cap is just a dust cap I was told and you can't trust it not to leak without a good schrader core.
    I use those brass hex caps with the built-in copper washer for that.

Post Likes
    I've never seen a Shraeder valve on any service valve port...that I can recall.

Generally, as a UL requirement, the condensing unit OEM will usually provide access ports for safety controls, like the HPC, on the discharge line or receiver without a Shrader as well...as long as there is no discharge service valve the compressor. Compressors with discharge service valves will have the HPC connected to the center port. Ports intended for operational controls will "usually" have Shraeders.

Post Likes
    This one the core is not even a option.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    This one the core is not even a option.
    In the past, "real" refrigeration condensing units always had traditional style service valve for everything. I suspect it won't be much longer before they disappear altogether.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    In the past, "real" refrigeration condensing units always had traditional style service valve for everything. I suspect it won't be much longer before they disappear altogether.
    Worked on a hoshizaki self contained reach in cooler the other day. Not only did it have service ports, they were real service valves! It was less than 2 years old.

Post Likes
    Yeah I miss being able to tighten the stem packing nut.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Yeah I miss being able to tighten the stem packing nut.
    I miss the solid brass valves that were not only serviceable, but they didn't rust and lasted forever.

Post Likes
    I miss the solid brass valves that were not only serviceable, but they didn't rust and lasted forever.
    China wouldn't think of using brass ...,

Post Likes
    Tell me about it.

We installed a new Copeland condensing unit about 2 years ago and the suction service valve already rusted to the point of leaking at the pipe connection.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I never told you that.

The whole dust cap thing is nonsense.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in