Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    In the real world we are not working on 3 or 4 year old equipment we are working on 20 and 30 year old good equipment that's getting worn out. We can just buy them a few more years.

Bullet piecing valves on the low side will not leak over time if installed properly. Schrader valves on the other hand will especially on a discharge line,which manufacturers do all the time with a rubber seal cap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stude283 View Post
    In the real world we are not working on 3 or 4 year old equipment we are working on 20 and 30 year old good equipment that's getting worn out. We can just buy them a few more years.

Bullet piecing valves on the low side will not leak over time if installed properly. Schrader valves on the other hand will especially on a discharge line,which manufacturers do all the time with a rubber seal cap.
    Yeah, I've definitely found more leaks from Schrader valves then piercing. A needle point in a copper tube is far better then a nylon ring around a core.

Post Likes
    SURE!
    Piercing valves are never left in the system
    Nitrogen Purging is always done
    A deep vacuum is always pulled
    We ALWAYS stand around and watch several cycles to assure perfect performance

You internet experts have to realize there is a real world out there!
    When you are working on a cooler(or home refrigerator which is where most piercing valves are used) whose value is $200 you can't put $500 worth of time in it.
    If the fridge only costs $200 they would be wise not to call me to fix it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

4. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You guys need to get a job instead of contradicting EVERYTHING on these forums.
    Yeah I'm semi retired now so I'm here. How could you possibly get any real life experience if you are responding to every post on the forums. It gets old! No one else dare respond except for a few self proclaimed experts.
    Spewing the same old rhetoric,no one dare voice their opinion or they are a hack.
    SO Go at it.
    I've probably had the same happy customers since before you were born.

Post Likes
    OK I'll bite, who pushed your buttons ? Come on spill the beans .... ...
    did you say something here that wasn't status quo ? Did you venture over to ARP ?

Post Likes
    You guys need to get a job instead of contradicting EVERYTHING on these forums.
    Yeah I'm semi retired now so I'm here. How could you possibly get any real life experience if you are responding to every post on the forums. It gets old! No one else dare respond except for a few self proclaimed experts.
    Spewing the same old rhetoric,no one dare voice their opinion or they are a hack.
    SO Go at it.
    I've probably had the same happy customers since before you were born.
    You need to realize that piercing valves are not just for residential appliances. There are more self contained "cheap" units in restaurants and bars than "quality" units that would come with access valve/ports. Piercing valves are used all the time in light commercial refrigeration. Your $200 residential fridge is a $3000 restaurant fridge backed with a managers salary partially based on P&L of his store. A $500 repair on a $3000 fridge is well worth the extra monies he sees in his annual bonus.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

8. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    You need to realize that piercing valves are not just for residential appliances. There are more self contained "cheap" units in restaurants and bars than "quality" units that would come with access valve/ports. Piercing valves are used all the time in light commercial refrigeration. Your $200 residential fridge is a $3000 restaurant fridge backed with a managers salary partially based on P&L of his store. A $500 repair on a $3000 fridge is well worth the extra monies he sees in his annual bonus.
    👍

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Yes and when that $3000 true reach in is a r12 25 year old unit the value of that unit is 2-3 hundred.
    The managers or owners only concern is getting it working for a few more years.
    If you dump $500 into the sealed system,clean totally plugged condenser and evap., replace 2 noisy fan motors
    and clear the drain(as you should) you will be lucky to get paid for this repair,not to mention ever getting another call there.
    So there are many cases where a BULLET piecing valve is a viable answer.

AS far as their long term use, I charged up a home freezer last week that needs a charge every every 5 years or so. This cycle started even before me(I did not put on bullet valve my predecessor did over 40 years ago.When I finished i checked valve with h10pm.It does not leak.While the elderly owner could just buy a new one every few years he is quite happy to pay for a little juice and keep his old GE. I'm sure that was the last recharge,but i said that 5years and 6 months ago.

If you have never left one on how do you know they are bound to leak? Just another stock internet answer.

Post Likes
    SURE!
    Piercing valves are never left in the system
    Nitrogen Purging is always done
    A deep vacuum is always pulled
    We ALWAYS stand around and watch several cycles to assure perfect performance

You internet experts have to realize there is a real world out there!
    When you are working on a cooler(or home refrigerator which is where most piercing valves are used) whose value is $200 you can't put $500 worth of time in it.
    Don't forget 2 hours of fire watch after brazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Post Likes
    Yes and when that $3000 true reach in is a r12 25 year old unit the value of that unit is 2-3 hundred.
    The managers or owners only concern is getting it working for a few more years.
    If you dump $500 into the sealed system,clean totally plugged condenser and evap., replace 2 noisy fan motors
    and clear the drain(as you should) you will be lucky to get paid for this repair,not to mention ever getting another call there.
    So there are many cases where a BULLET piecing valve is a viable answer.

AS far as their long term use, I charged up a home freezer last week that needs a charge every every 5 years or so. This cycle started even before me(I did not put on bullet valve my predecessor did over 40 years ago.When I finished i checked valve with h10pm.It does not leak.While the elderly owner could just buy a new one every few years he is quite happy to pay for a little juice and keep his old GE. I'm sure that was the last recharge,but i said that 5years and 6 months ago.

If you have never left one on how do you know they are bound to leak? Just another stock internet answer.
    I know because people leave them on all the time. They do leak. and a piercing valve is NOT and answer. It is a tool to assist in diagnostics.

Maybe you should just find better customers. I've done chain restaurant work for a long time. If a manager wants to do a $900 repair on a $600 box to avoid spending $5k, who am I to say no?

What I won't do is a sub-par repair. If you're happy doing a gas and go, more power to ya. I would rather make a correct repair.

13. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1234 View Post
    Don't forget 2 hours of fire watch after brazing
    +1

Post Likes
    Where does supco say that their product is a diagnostic tool? follow manufacturers recommendations.
    A proper repair is always best,but on many older units not a practical option so we do what we can.
    Like I said you live in a different world than many of us.Guess I'm just jealous. I have many customers who want it done perfect also,but just as many who keep on patching for a few more years.I work for them,I don't have the option to demand that they do it my way,or they call someone else to give them what they want.
    I agree with your assessment of any other piecing valves,but personally have had very few supco piecing valves leak(WHEN PROPERLY INSTALLED ON THE LOW SIDE) and the few that did out of hundreds leaked on initial installation, or after many,many years,usually much more than a normal units life would be.

Post Likes
    Where does supco say that their product is a diagnostic tool? follow manufacturers recommendations.
    A proper repair is always best,but on many older units not a practical option so we do what we can.
    Like I said you live in a different world than many of us.Guess I'm just jealous. I have many customers who want it done perfect also,but just as many who keep on patching for a few more years.I work for them,I don't have the option to demand that they do it my way,or they call someone else to give them what they want.
    I agree with your assessment of any other piecing valves,but personally have had very few supco piecing valves leak(WHEN PROPERLY INSTALLED ON THE LOW SIDE) and the few that did out of hundreds leaked on initial installation, or after many,many years,usually much more than a normal units life would be.
    This I agree with whole heartedly. I have seen piercing valves on the high side. If someone hasn't figured out what is wrong with a small self contained unit that they feel the need to put a piercing valve on the high side, maybe they should rethink their career choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast