Post Likes

New Technology for air conditioning

I would like to seek comments on whether the following designs are the new technology in air conditioning or not.

1. Using Variable speed drive (VSD) to control the air flow rate of an existing AHU

Post Likes
    "New" is subjective. Since VSDs have been used on AHUs for over 30 years, I would say that it is not new technology. Others may say differently, especially if if it is new to them.

Post Likes
    Thanks for reply

What is a new technology in air conditioning in recent years ?

How about the split type unit with a frequency inverter compressor?

Post Likes
    Mini split heat pumps that can run below 0* with out losing capacity with multi evaps,VRF system's,crimp refrigeration fittings, Building automation system's that can talk to multiple systems and equipment, wifi thermostats and multiple different types refrigerants from drop in replacements to who knows what is next. ECM motors for furnaces and condensers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    Mini split heat pumps that can run below 0* with out losing capacity with multi evaps,VRF system's,crimp refrigeration fittings, Building automation system's that can talk to multiple systems and equipment, wifi thermostats and multiple different types refrigerants from drop in replacements to who knows what is next. ECM motors for furnaces and condensers.
    Digital scrolls are pretty new. Magnetic bearing centrifugals are only ten or fifteen years old. Those god awful micro channel condensers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guinness for strength

Post Likes
    A couple of years ago there was an article in Hvac news about Daikin had found a way to put magnetic materials in refrigerant and was using magnetic field as the compressor. A compressor with no moving parts!

Post Likes
    I assume you are doing this for LEED credits. If so, you will likely get a better answer on one of the many LEED forums out there. Whether LEED will accept something as "new" technology can be subjective.

I very much doubt variable speed drive on AHU's would count. That has been a code requirement for many years.

I, and I think most here would agree, would not consider variable speed drive on a split system to be new technology, but maybe LEED would.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by B_roche View Post
    Digital scrolls are pretty new. Magnetic bearing centrifugals are only ten or fifteen years old. Those god awful micro channel condensers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Digital scrolls? They have long since been sent to the dustbin of history. They were just a temporary answer back when very few companies had variable speed drive technology for compressors. Digital does not perform nearly as well. If they are even available in the market today, it would only be on old models of AC equipment.