Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Barber Coleman - Microzone II Integration Feedback

We have a customer that initially asked us to bid all new controls for their central AHU systems, and central mechanical plant (chillers, boilers, pumps, etc.). So we put together a complete bid to remove all of the existing Microzone II controllers, and replace them with new controllers. We also included a Niagara 4 front end system. Well I got a call from the customer yesterday, and it sounds like their budget for this project was cut down quite significantly. So he had mentioned that he wanted to look into adding a new front end system at first, and keeping the Microzone II controllers. Then over a 2-3 year plan, we would start phasing in BACnet controllers to replace the Microzone II controllers. This job has about 12-14 Microzone II controllers doing all of their central equipment.

I was reading on here that some people have been successful using Niagara, and integrating to the Microzone II controllers. So I wanted to get some feedback from people who have done it, so that I can be better prepared to bid this project.

What driver is required on the JACE to communicate to Microzone II controllers? The ASD driver?

How smooth have these integrations like this gone for you? Anything specific I should watch out for to assure that things go smooth?

How should I prepare for a integration like this? Any specific software I should have on my laptop? I saw some things mentioned on here about EPSI and PSI software. Where can I get these software programs? I thought I saw a post on here where someone shared the software, but I cannot find it.

Any feedback that anyone can give me regarding a integration like this would be VERY helpful. This will help me calculate the required labor hours to perform a project like this.

Thanks for the help!
    J. King

Post Likes
    I've done several successful Barber Coleman AX integrations with the ASD driver. I have not done an N4 one yet. It greatly helps to have a copy of XPSI and some experience with Barber Coleman products. There is a GCM driver available as well but I have not tried it so I can't speak as to how well that works. There is an auto discover that finds all controllers, points and blocks. You will just pull the ASD trunk off of the GCM and land it on the Jace. Should go pretty smooth. One thing to keep in the back of your mind, If you ever upgrade the Jace software, you will need to re-enter the ASD driver unlock code so keep that in a safe place. If you don't, the ASD will work in demo mode for 2 hours and then will fail. Learned that one the hard way.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
    I've done several successful Barber Coleman AX integrations with the ASD driver. I have not done an N4 one yet. It greatly helps to have a copy of XPSI and some experience with Barber Coleman products. There is a GCM driver available as well but I have not tried it so I can't speak as to how well that works. There is an auto discover that finds all controllers, points and blocks. You will just pull the ASD trunk off of the GCM and land it on the Jace. Should go pretty smooth. One thing to keep in the back of your mind, If you ever upgrade the Jace software, you will need to re-enter the ASD driver unlock code so keep that in a safe place. If you don't, the ASD will work in demo mode for 2 hours and then will fail. Learned that one the hard way.
    Reaper,

Thank you for your reply. We are planning to attempt this integration using a JACE 8000 and N4. Where can I get the XPSI software? Any documentation on this software will also be helpful. Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated.
    J. King

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by apprentice3 View Post
    Reaper,

Thank you for your reply. We are planning to attempt this integration using a JACE 8000 and N4. Where can I get the XPSI software? Any documentation on this software will also be helpful. Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated.
    Never have done it myself but have worked on several sites that have AX with the ASD driver it works well. One of our guys is doing a N4 ASD integration right now. XPSI will be a must and has a learning curve for sure. I learned it on the fly, and ended up programming several schools with it I found it fairly easy to understand once I got going. Tunneling from AX to XPSI works great not sure that will be the case with N4. Might not be an issue for you if their going to be removing the microzones soon. PM me about XPSI

Post Likes
    We have done a couple in the past under AX. You generally need to work with the factory software a bit to get things tied together right, not fun but not impossible.

How friendly are you with ALC? They have a drop in board for the microzone modules, it's pretty sweet.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies and feedback. It is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J. King

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    We have done a couple in the past under AX. You generally need to work with the factory software a bit to get things tied together right, not fun but not impossible.

How friendly are you with ALC? They have a drop in board for the microzone modules, it's pretty sweet.
    I am familiar with ALC but we arent the local dealer around here, so it isnt really an option for us. I have heard of the board that you are referring to though. I heard things come over pretty smoothly with it.

J. King

Post Likes
    I'm on the customer side of integrations with a lot of experience with the ASD devices- that said I never see integrations go as smoothly as what they should, I don't think the controls contractor's allow enough time for verification at the end of programming. Where we see more issues is when programming goes through the gcm more than just time clocks. Unless you reverse engineer the gcm it seems that some existing programming gets missed. We've had similar issues with two different brand contractors.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbsailing View Post
    I'm on the customer side of integrations with a lot of experience with the ASD devices- that said I never see integrations go as smoothly as what they should, I don't think the controls contractor's allow enough time for verification at the end of programming. Where we see more issues is when programming goes through the gcm more than just time clocks. Unless you reverse engineer the gcm it seems that some existing programming gets missed. We've had similar issues with two different brand contractors.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I do believe that this job has some programming in the GCM. The only things on this system are the central equipment and the central plant. The terminal/ VAV boxes are all pneumatic. I was reviewing the control drawings for this job, and the original contractor included the logic on their pages. There was at least 3 pages of GCM programming that I saw.

Does anyone have copies of the following programming/ operators manuals:

PSI Programming Manual F-23117
    Microzone II PSI Operators Manual F-23058
    GCM Programming Manual F-23120
    Custom Control Language Manual F-23243

Thanks for all of the feedback so far!

J. King

Post Likes
    How did this integration go for you? I'm starting one soon and trying to prepare for the road ahead.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsabeiha View Post
    How did this integration go for you? I'm starting one soon and trying to prepare for the road ahead.
    I haven't done it yet. We are still in the initial bid stage of this. We have a meeting with the customer this week to discuss the turnover of this project. I have received quite a few private messages from other users on here, and I am feeling pretty optimistic about it. We should be starting this project sometime during the first quarter of 2019. When do you plan on starting yours? I will let you know how it goes, if I get started before you do.
    J. King

Post Likes
    Were looking to begin cutting the ASD bus over next month. Im currently building the database now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsabeiha View Post
    We’re looking to begin cutting the ASD bus over next month. I’m currently building the database now.
    Sounds like your going to get to it before I do. Let us know how it goes. Good luck to you!
    J. King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast