Post Likes

York YK sudden drop in Oil sump level

I have a York YK that the sump oil level dropped in. Went from 1/2 full while running to at the red/green line (estimated 3-4 gallon drop). I am not sure how long it took to get there but I noted it to be at the 1/2 sump level in February on the annual and received the call in early summer. Unit full model is YKKLKMH9-CXFS and runs with a good load. Replaced the oil eductor liquid line filter and the back of the oil sump is sweating indicating good flow from the eductor block. Oil level is stable at the red/green level and only fluctuates 1/4 in the site glass while chiller is running. In the summer months this chiller has been running 24/7. Any ideas as to where the oil is being stored. I feel it to be highly unlikely in the evaporator due to the steady current oil level. Approach is near zero when fully loaded. Just would like to know if someone else has had this issue with any of the YK line. When I look through the manual the oil diagram is old and shows a check valve in the return line from behind the inlet guide vanes but with the newer style YK chillers all eductor related workings are inside the oil sump. When the chiller is shut down the oil level rises as to what would be normally expected and is the same as the other 3 1000 tonners onsite. Has anyone had oil stack up behind the inlet guide vanes?

I am new to this forum so any advice on etiquette would also be welcomed.

Thank you

Post Likes
    If the sump is not venting correctly it can stack up in the PRV area being that is the lowest pressure in the machine. Are you seeing any type of foaming in evap to say the oil is entrained in the 134a?

Post Likes
    Thank you for your reply. The evaporator is foamy but this machine is a falling film design and has always been foamy. Do you know if there is an internal check valve on the oil educator block? Any other ideas of where the oil may be stacking up?

Post Likes
    there is a check valve on both the scroll and the shell eductors. a good pressure diff on the machine should help clear the foam but i would guess your scroll eductor is bad and that's where all the oil is hiding.

Post Likes
    So is the check valve internal to the oil educator block. JCI manual shows an old out of date diagram of external eductors while the newer models have the eductors mounted inside the oil sump where you have to pull or transfer the charge to inspect.

Post Likes
    that's correct, they are both in the sump

Post Likes
    Really appreciate the information. I think I will pull the eductor, check the sump vent line, and visually inspect the oil accumulation in the PRV area. What are the long term issues with oil accumulation in the PRV area? Impeller damage?

Post Likes
    Have you considered that your shaft seal leakage cup is being emptied without your knowledge? I know that would be a lot of oil but I have 1 Chiller where the shaft seal leakage cup is emptied very 12-14 days and is full each time. It has been that way for years.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

Technically speaking, they are all heat pumps.

Post Likes
    Good question. Shaft seal in great shape and customer claims they have not emptied bottle. I empty it out after taking notations of level during the annual visit. The oil level in this machine dropped 3-4 gallons quickly and then had been stable. Same level within 1/2 inch while running every time.