Thread: Another xv20i

Post Likes

Another xv20i

2 ton xv20i. Took out a 12 year old trane system just because of a bad TXV. Customer wasn't even interested in fixing it. He's retiring very soon and doesn't want to worry about repairs, wanted a new factory warranty. Well ok. I really wish you could pair a 2 ton tam instead of going to 2.5 ton. I didn't get a shot from the back before, I wish I had. I removed about 10 pieces of duct with transitions going all over. Cleaned it up and including the spacer for the filter total of 5 new pieces. TESP calculated by the tam was .38"w.c. on check charge cooling (100% capacity). I'll be back soon to go over the system with the husband, i intend to take an actual reading to compare. So far all of the units I've compared the calculated to actual TESP have been within .05"w.c.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "If common sense was so common, everyone would have it."

Do it once, do it right.

It will take as long as it takes, which will be not as long if you let me do my job.

Post Likes
    Sweet!!!

Post Likes
    Nice job but i would have fixed it and used it if it was mine

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    Nice job but i would have fixed it and used it if it was mine
    no kidding. Send the old one to me.

Post Likes
    He wasn't hearing anything of it. He wanted the "Cadillac" as he put it. He wanted a new factory warranty. He's also planning on replacing every appliance in house before he retires. I warned him this is the age of disposable appliances.

Do it once, do it right.

It will take as long as it takes, which will be not as long if you let me do my job.

Post Likes
    Amazing job, well done!

Post Likes
    i would have kept his old unit fixed it right and used it untill it ran no more or could no longer get parts HIS Cadillac wont last as long as his old one and the appliance sure as hell wont

Post Likes
    I usually have some issues with others installs. That right there... I got nothing. Looks great!

Post Likes
    Thanks. I would have liked to have run some 1-1 1/2" seal tite or conduit for the power to the AH but didn't have any.

Do it once, do it right.

Post Likes
    I like the short section of duct between the filter cabinet and unit! Very clean work dude. Do you seal your ducts from the inside? I started using some mastic on the insides of most of the joints, then when I get to the last two connections using thumb gum on the drives. Foam tape and screwed to the unit? Makes for a much more professional look I think. Well done

Post Likes
    I typically use mastic, silver tape, foam tape, and/or clear silicone. Some combination of 2 or more on most jobs. This job has foam tape on the return and supply. Also on both sides of the filter housing. Clear silicone behind the tabs on the drives on any of the ductwork I did. Sealing entire duct systems isn't a common practice around here so convincing people that it is advantageous can be difficult. On new structures and duct in unconditioned space I've already included it in the pricing but on retrofits I usually just do the best I can around the equipment. Like most areas existing duct systems are undersized and completely sealing the duct wouldn't be IMO a good idea without correcting it first. We take duct sizing into heavy consideration when sizing equipment and usually if it's a serious issue either the customers agree to fixing it or choose another company that will just do what they want with no argument.

Do it once, do it right.