+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fresh air dun rite

Post Likes

Fresh air dun rite

Damper is wired to a DPDT relay, set to be open except when there's a call for electric heat. There's also nowhere to put a filter...

...unless you put one on the side of the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Where does it go?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Where does it go?
    Straight to the return plenum. No filter or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Would not pass like it is in my area plus it would allow ice cold air in to the system in our winter season
    And if a car or snow blower etc was running in the area of the vent it could draw the exhaust gas in the house or worse
    And we don't have much electric heat left in our residential homes due to it being almost 15 cents a kilowatt hour.

Post Likes
    I am not saying it was code correct, but we had something similar at our nightclub. In the winter, the place would get very busy with many people dancing, besides the body heat. When it was cold outside, the air conditioning system would not work. They cut a hole in the wall, and added what was essentially a filter rack, projecting from the exterior of the building. Rather than sliding in a filter, we would slide in or remove a piece of sheet metal. When we wanted to cool the club, we would remove the sheet metal "filter", and turn on the blower. That would suck in cold air and blow it through the ducts just like air conditioning. When we didnt need the cold air, we inserted the sheet metal "filter" thereby closing off the air intake. I don't know whether it was up to code, but it worked perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    How would this differ from an RTU that just had a 'hood' for fresh air???
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes
    I am not an HVAC guy, so I don't know what an RTU is. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Straight to the return plenum. No filter or anything.

Before or after the air filter for the system?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Before or after the air filter for the system?
    After filter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    After filter.
    Okay, so any easy fix.

Either bring it in before the filter or add a filter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Okay, so any easy fix.

Either bring it in before the filter or add a filter.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
    I am not an HVAC guy, so I don't know what an RTU is. Sorry.

ROOF TOP UNIT ie Package unit.. a lot of them simply have a hood with screens in it similar to a screen on a vent hood above a stove, they allow air to come in all the time with away to manually damper it etc on the return side before the filter..

14. Likes jeffmattero76 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That is pretty much what is installed on new houses to meet fresh air requirements. 8 or 6 inch flex with a damper dumping into the return duct.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    That is pretty much what is installed on new houses to meet fresh air requirements. 8 or 6 inch flex with a damper dumping into the return duct.
    Depending on the requirements there may be no damper, just open all the time to the outside.

Post Likes
    Its not uncommon around here to see unfiltered fresh air brought in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Its not uncommon around here to see unfiltered fresh air brought in.

Pretty much all make up air is piped strait into the furthest point of the return. But it does all go through the furnace filter.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in