+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any idea what I'm looking at here? Old plumbing-

Post Likes

Any idea what I'm looking at here? Old plumbing-

Doing some plumbing repairs for a friend. I'm an hvac guy so vintage plumbing practices I'm not always familiar with. For some reason the vanity trap was cut off- when I finally was able to jar the old straight piece that goes into the wall this is what I had left. Looks like some sort of bushing that goes into an 1 1/2 FIP- if it is i seem to doubt that it's a threaded bushing though because I don't see how they possibly could've gotten it flush with the FIP- doesn't look like a leaded joint as there's an obvious seem but lead work is before my time. Not sure If it's a tee or elbow so we'll just say FIP. I've contemplated that maybe I just tore the drain outlet out and it pulled/twisted with a clean break as there's some sort of ridge if you look close in the back. Just looking for a bode of confidence before I chisel or do what I have to do to get it out. Sure I could just stick my 1 1/2" tubular in it and silicone the snot out of it but my workmanship is against it even though it's free work for a freind. IMG_2212.JPGIMG_2213.JPGIMG_2214.JPGIMG_2216.JPGIMG_2217.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Post Likes
    Looks like they got the bushing flush using a chisel ( unless that edged marking is from you ) as you can see a line of metal missing. From the yellow color line mark it looks to be a coated brass bushing?? Is that what your asking?

Put a small magnet on that exposed section of the bushing to see if it's made of brass.

If a chisel does not work to remove may need a dremel with a small flat wheel cutting into it then inwards like a " L" angel then chisel to peel off of threads then pull off the threads with vice grips/channel lock.

Post Likes
    In regards to having lead in between the bushing, or anywhere in the general area run a sharp knife edge to see on suspected area. Not to hard to tell if lead is present.

Post Likes
    It very well could be the remnants of the male portion of 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" tubular DWV and I somehow pulled/twisted it out clean from the inside and the remnant remains- the scratch does look like it could be chromed brass. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't some sort of weird antiqued pushed in bushing deal with some sort of sealant as I see what looks like pipe dope around the seam

"It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    In regards to having lead in between the bushing, or anywhere in the general area run a sharp knife edge to see on suspected area. Not to hard to tell if lead is present.
    You mean I should be able to scratch or flake it because of its relative softness?

Post Likes
    I am no plumber, but that looks like an old cast iron and oakum bell fitting. Like I said I am no plumber, and maybe just blowing steam. I live in an old 1918 house, and have had to remove a few.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by technocratic View Post
    looks like an old cast iron and oakum bell fitting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    That's why I ask I have no idea what that is. Some sort of flush bushing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1234 View Post
    You mean I should be able to scratch or flake it because of its relative softness?

Yes, talking about lead, heavy as all hell but fairly soft. Shiny silver color when cut.

Post Likes
    I’m not sure what they were called, but way back when, I started out life as a plumber apprentice. We remodeled old college dorm bathrooms and every bathroom had one of these. The trick to getting them out? A fine tooth sawzall blade, a pry driver and a hammer. Wrap some black tape around the “handle” end of your blade and make cuts at 12, 3, 6 and 9 just to the threads.
    After all four cuts are made, take screwdriver, place at 6 o’clock cut at a 45* upward angle and give it a couple good whacks with said hammer and it should pop right out as they are brass. You may need to go to the other cuts and repeat as necessary, or you may be able to screw it out.
    Side note: after this job was complete, I found that the smell of sewer gas and rotting hair and whatever else was in the drains just wasn’t for me so I got in to HVAC. I guess these fittings are the reason I do what I do...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by frankhvac View Post
    I’m not sure what they were called, but way back when, I started out life as a plumber apprentice. We remodeled old college dorm bathrooms and every bathroom had one of these. The trick to getting them out? A fine tooth sawzall blade, a pry driver and a hammer. Wrap some black tape around the “handle” end of your blade and make cuts at 12, 3, 6 and 9 just to the threads.
    After all four cuts are made, take screwdriver, place at 6 o’clock cut at a 45* upward angle and give it a couple good whacks with said hammer and it should pop right out as they are brass. You may need to go to the other cuts and repeat as necessary, or you may be able to screw it out.
    Side note: after this job was complete, I found that the smell of sewer gas and rotting hair and whatever else was in the drains just wasn’t for me so I got in to HVAC. I guess these fittings are the reason I do what I do...
    That’s exactly what I did. Was so long ago but got it to yield if memory serves 1 1/4” FIP and the rest was ezpz

Post Likes
    Once I started sawing I do believe it was brass

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by frankhvac View Post
    that was my thinking. cut and collapse inward, then new stuff threads in.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Was never really concerned about how to get out but was more concerned that there was FIP waiting for me. There was.

Post Likes
    Yes -you have a bushing in a cast iron hub. You can carefully pry out the bushing. Then put in a piece of plastic pipe (or plastic bushing) that’s a similar but smaller diameter. Pack the gap between cast and plastic with either lead and oakum or better (and easier) pc4 (cold caulking cement compound). Allow to dry for 24 hours and you’re all set.

Then re attach sink.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgaryhvac View Post
    Yes -you have a bushing in a cast iron hub. You can carefully pry out the bushing. Then put in a piece of plastic pipe (or plastic bushing) that’s a similar but smaller diameter. Pack the gap between cast and plastic with either lead and oakum or better (and easier) pc4 (cold caulking cement compound). Allow to dry for 24 hours and you’re all set.

Then re attach sink.
    I just made a few incisions and chiseled it out. FIP from there and was brainless from there I just didn’t know at the time there was female threads waiting for me or not. Know I do.

Post Likes
    it looks like a brass or bronze reducing fitting where a rubber doughnut is used for a leak free seal on the waste cast iron plumbing

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in