Post Likes

YCWL barrel question

Since there are 2 circuits and refrigerant is in tubes. Is it possible to get a leaking gasket and have crossover between circuits ? I see there is a gasket listed for each head .
    We have a tech who is recovering one and says he’s way over the name plate charge. So either grossly overcharged or pass thru from other circuit. Thanks for looking.
    cant make this crap up

Post Likes
    Yes you can have a gasket between the two systems leak. On the end where the TEV and suction lines are attached there is a vertical divider between the two systems. On the other end is the same division. There normally are four gaskets, two at each end so the gas makes 3-5 passes. The center gasket can slip out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks Chev , I thought I read something like that a few years back. I’m headed to site tomorrow to help out other tech and confirm leaky gasket or overcharged . I’ll post findings.
    cant make this crap up

Post Likes
    Best way is to pull charge from both systems and put nitrogen in one only and see if the other comes up in pressure. If the gasket had slipped enough you can hear it flowing past.

Post Likes
    I had a YCIV that had this issue. Contractor used the wrong oil (Copeland) and the gasket became checked and cracked on both ends. Leaked nitrogen from the side the was working on into the side that was operating. We tried just the return end bell hoping it was just that end...no dice. Had to replace both.

with the water cooled condenser barrel, if you have no water temperature control and allow the water to get too cold, most contractors will think it’s low charge and charge it up.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

Technically speaking, they are all heat pumps.

Post Likes
    When you do replace the gasket make sure you check the heads for flatness, also torque over a period of time, it may take 2-3 visits to check for torque relaxation over a couple of weeks.

Post Likes
    Thanks all . Turns out grossly overcharged. Probably due to lack of tower water temp control.
    cant make this crap up

Post Likes
    Thank you for the up date.