Post Likes

information on a hard start kit for their A/C, electrical efficiency.

Thinking of installing one on the recommendation of this A/C company that did maintenance to my A/C and said it would lengthen the life of my a/c. My A/C was installed in 1993 when my house was built. he also told me it would save me energy because my ac was drawing more amps than normal(17amps, normal should be under 10amps) because it was old, this would cut my amp usage in half. But others have said it would increase my electrical bill. not sure. thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Name:  meter-1.gif
Views: 88
Size:  10.9 KB
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

3. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Hard start capacitors only function during the initial start up of a compressor, they drop out moments after they are energized. If the running amps are high there is something else causing it. Has the condenser been cleaned? Evaporator coil inspected? Airflow verified and charge checked to be at manufacturer specs? A hard start will only lower the energy consumption upon startup of the unit, so I would disagree with it cutting your amp usage in half.
    "If common sense was so common, everyone would have it."

Do it once, do it right.

It will take as long as it takes, which will be not as long if you let me do my job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Name:  meter-1.gif
Views: 88
Size:  10.9 KB
    X-2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin86 View Post
    Thinking of installing one on the recommendation of this A/C company that did maintenance to my A/C and said it would lengthen the life of my a/c. My A/C was installed in 1993 when my house was built. he also told me it would save me energy because my ac was drawing more amps than normal(17amps, normal should be under 10amps) because it was old, this would cut my amp usage in half. But others have said it would increase my electrical bill. not sure. thanks in advance.
    Find a different contractor, this ones full of IT

Post Likes
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    LOL, either he is full of it, or he has been taught wrong.

A hard start can help prolong the life of a compressor. But after 25 years, doubt it would/will help much.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?