Post Likes

Luxaire AC unit contactor issue

I have a residential unit. 4-5 years old installed by pro's. I'm an electrical guy. My AC stopped. I troubleshot the control board, 24v fuse open. Replaced it. All was fine. The fuse opened overnight again. I opened the compressor. Contactor and capacitor in there only. I measured the coil, very low resistance. I don't trust it..I went over all of the field connections but I don't see any signs of over heating due to bad connection. Can the contactor be bad at this age? I paid alot for the higher seer unit and am having buyers remorse. Replaced the control board 2 years ago as well. I guess I'd like a pro's opinion before I buy and replace the contactor. Any help would be awesome.

Post Likes
    Who replaced the board 2 years ago?
    Why did you replace the board again? Because of a blown fuse?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoje View Post
    Any help would be awesome.
    They are more likely to take liberty with and bash you with the no diy rule; and insinuate you haven't a clue. While it's true we cannot provide step by step instructions or too much detail per forum rules; just remember your electrical training and realize the fault could be anywhere in the low voltage circuit feeding the contactor. For that matter, it could have nothing to do with the contactor circuit. Intermittent faults can be tough to find sometimes. You have an amp clamp and a VOM if you are an electrical guy, they are your friends right about now.You could probably find the average resistance of a contactor coil elsewhere on the net. There are also other forums that are far more DIY friendly. Good luck.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    I’m not bashing the OP I’m asking questions trying to figure his skill level.
    Doesn’t changing a board because of a blown fuse raise a red flag for you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Who replaced the board 2 years ago?
    Why did you replace the board again? Because of a blown fuse?
    The pro's who installed the system replaced the board in warranty. No heat at that time. But not this time. I have no Air Cond this time simply due to the low volt fuse blowing. I replaced fuse only with same rated and it works. When it cycled off/on, the fuse opened again. Today, I went over the field connections, tightened crimps where I could, replaced the fuse and is running again but waiting for it to cycle now. Hard for me to believe the contactor coil bad in 5 years time. Perhaps I am missing something.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoje View Post
    I measured the coil, very low resistance.
    What's very low resistance? What did it measure?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

Post Likes
    15 ohms but my home meter has 35 years on it. Good for volt test, a little shaky for solid resistance check. I have everything at the job. Update on this thread tomorrow. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Sorry, this is not a DIY site.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?