Post Likes

New HVAC business

Hello. A friend of mine and I are seriously considering starting an HVAC business. He has 20+ years experience in HVAC, I supply the money and general business knowledge. I have done a lot of research but still have some fairly basic questions such as: how/where to advertise? is there any way to gauge if my area can support another HVAC business? What kind of duct making equipment is needed right at the start? Is this the proper place for such questions? If so I'll elaborate on the questions above! Thanks, John

Post Likes
    Residential or commercial?

Be sure to have enough money to last two years with no income.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    My potential partner has done both, but with the company he's with now, most of the business is residential.

Post Likes
    I would imagine that it would be easier to get something going in the resi sector, but you haven't told us where you live.

Where I work right now, they started the business 5-6 years ago, and are up to 15+ techs in the field. Light commercial. They targeted a certain segment, and concentrated on that.

How you advertise and get the word out will depend entirely on the customers you are seeking out. Initially, you may want to go for both resi and light commercial, one may pan out better than the other.

Bottom line is that your first goal is to get that first employee. The idea being that then you and your partner can begin to concentrate more on the business, rather than being tied up running calls. Your partner would then be the floater; running calls when it gets busy.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I don't want to say where I'm from because my partner understandably does not want his current company to find out he's considering this! We are in a mostly rural area...city of about 15-20,000 with everything outside the city proper being very rural. So I agree that residential probably makes the most sense.

What have you found to be the most effective way to market to residential customers? Google Ad Words seems like a good idea because you're targeting people who are looking for an HVAC person at that exact moment, however, even after talking to a company that handles that for you, it's pretty confusing. Seems like word of mouth would take quite some time to develop since people generally don't need their HVAC system worked on all that often. (not like word of mouth for some consumable item).

Post Likes
    What happens if he's ( your potential partner ) laid up in the hospital or recuperating at home for a few weeks and cant work, what's your back up plan, as I get it from your post your the hands off guy. Someone has to turn the wrenches...

Do you plan on doing any Refrigeration, or Computer Rooms, if so no such thing as we'll get there in a few days.

Who handles all those call backs, emergency service calls on holidays, evenings, him only while he's healthy?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Excellent questions, and we've identified that as one of our major problems to overcome. Him getting burnt out quickly if the business doesn't grow to support a second technician fairly soon. For now he says he's willing to put for the effort for the sake of getting the business going, but will he feel the same way six months in when he's sick of it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by john3981 View Post
    Excellent questions, and we've identified that as one of our major problems to overcome. Him getting burnt out quickly if the business doesn't grow to support a second technician fairly soon. For now he says he's willing to put for the effort for the sake of getting the business going, but will he feel the same way six months in when he's sick of it!
    You better be ready to be his helper for awhile & just advertise a cell phone number until you get the business rolling. If your state requires a license, what are you going to do if he bails or one of you dies. Those things must be in a contract that protects both of you.
    How much startup bucks you got ? Just a service truck that's fully stocked with both supplies & tools is a very sizable chunk of change.

Post Likes
    I forgot to say I would be happy to offer my consulting services on running a HVACR business. My fee & expenses are reasonable

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by john3981 View Post
    For now, could be 5 years or more.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    it was once said that the only ship that doesn't float is a partnership! there are soooooooo many personal dynamics at play in what you are proposing and family demands on each that have to be considered. It's like being married but without the sex! Just saying
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

Post Likes
    How will each of you be compensated ? Is his knowledge & skill equal to your investment or is it worth more ( could be worth less ). He will think he is worth more & you will keep reminding him YOU paid for all this stuff if you don't get this area worked out.