Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Sticking with the basic or 2 stage unit and throwing the cost difference into added insulation and air sealing will likely save you more money than investing in high tech fancy gadgets that will save you a couple cents per dollar. Just my thought

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'
    X2

I am with Mr. Kangaroo man. Going to some of these higher tech units makes somewhat of a hostage to someone who can understand and work on this newer technology. Not many techs do.

I would stay with proven technology at least for the next 5 or 10 years. These newer systems give all kinds of promises on efficiency, but what about reliability? No one knows yet.

Truthfully, each SEER point does not save you that much. The highest I would go is 16 SEER 2 stage. Give the best comfort and any higher SEER will not save you that much to be worth it.

If this stuff is so great, why are they not offering a 20 year parts warrantee? I want to know.

I have a modulating compressor in my Mitsubishi ductless system. But it is at least proven technology.

I would hate to see you go "all out" on what you feel is the best system out there and end up getting hosed on repairs after the warrantee is up.

But in the end it is your money and someone has to be the loss leader.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Here is a third option...

Find an AlliedAir dealer...
    AlliedAir is a Lennox clone... meaning the product is basically a Lennox design.
    AlliedAir is owned by Lennox!

The AlliedAir inverter product is nothing more (or less) than re-branded Lennox Iharmony systems.

We are an AlliedAir dealer, and we have been putting in the 20 SEER inverter systems (with the A97 furnace, same as the SLP98)... they are a remarkable system, and the comfort is a new standard (similar to a properly sized and installed minisplit in a bonus room, however ducted around the entire house.

And NO... the more parts are not just more problems.
    If the system is installed properly and maintained properly... it will be every bit as reliable as a 'cheap builder grade' system... with the exception of the comfort level in ones home will be light years ahead of the best the builder grade system can do.

High end systems are NOT about energy efficiency, they are about comfort.
    One should not confuse that statement...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I'd probably modify that a bit. The goal or the main product of them is definitely comfort, for sure. But you CAN earn some energy efficiency savings in the sense that the variable and modulating components allow the units to run at much lower and more efficient speeds.

Of the few videos floating around with RA-20 installs there are a couple that show how well they can perform with relatively low current draw even when under full load. Of course give the right conditions like during peak of the day you're still going to hit the RLA, but for the other 18 hours of the day the system can scale back much lower and draw very little power to maintain temp during those times.

I'm weighing the option of doing a two stage instead for many of the same reasons you guys have given.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Well, we can thank our government for that little bit of smoke blowing.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12