Post Likes

WHATS THE MOST EXPENSIVE TOOL YOU HAVE LOST?

Im usually pretty good about keeping up with my tool, But over the years I have lost my fair share of them. The most expensive tool I lost was a recovery machine. I was changing a geo compressor in a crawlspace. The recovery machine was neatly tucked into a shadow behind the heat pump. During clean up it was missed. I realized a few days later when I started a different compressor change out. I drove back to the job, but it was no where to be found. Homeowner didn't notice anyone snooping around. TOTAL COST - $1100.

Post Likes
    The most expensive thing Ive lost is a vacuum that someone stole at the bottom of my ladder when bringing tools up and down they literally must have waited for me somewhere close by to be outta sight for a split second before taking it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heating_chicago View Post
    The most expensive thing Ive lost is a vacuum that someone stole at the bottom of my ladder when bringing tools up and down they literally must have waited for me somewhere close by to be outta sight for a split second before taking it.
    I had the same. Was on a large construction project doing startups on a bunch of chillers, air handlers and fan coil units. I was working with another contractor and left the electrical room with him for break. We were the only 2 in there. The inside door was locked so we propped the outside door.
    I left my brand new Fluke meter on top of a 7' tall panel out of sight. I was working off a scissors lift which was about 10' away from the meter.
    Had a coffee and came back to find it missing. I think the other guy was more pissed off than I was.
    The worst part was there were probably 10 different contractors there with around 300 guys. No way to find out who may have been in the area.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    I almost hate to say it, because Im going to jinx the heck out of myself, but probably an $80 set of tubing cutters.

Now Ive driven back across town for my sewer camera more than once.

Post Likes
    Lost a brand new Fieldpiece meter during a service call in 2 ft deep cellulose attic insulation. Realized it was missing later, went back and dove around in that nasty fluff till I finally gave up and left disgusted with myself. Wasnt making much money at they time and it was a painful lesson to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Zamoramax liked this post
    Post Likes
    Lost a 18v impact when I was doing some work at a strip mall.

Came off the roof, van was parked right next to the ladder, and there was a meter panel at eye level, set the drill on that packed the tools in the van, secured the ladder and drove away for parts. Realized it about 10 minutes down the road, turned around, but it had evaporated.

Left a couple aluminum pipe wrenches somewhere, could not remember where. Bought some new ones. The following year doing an annual cleaning, there they were right where I left them on top of the boiler in the basement of a post office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Mine would be my recovery machine BUT i have a check list on my tablet that's in my bag i take to every job so every tool taken to a job site leaves when i do nothing is left on the job site even if i walk away for a few mins i trust no one around my tools

Post Likes
    I had an account one time where someone left a brand new sawsall, case and all, on the roof. I put the saw in the case to keep it out of the weather and left it. I walked past that thing for months before eventually rotating out of the account.

Post Likes
    I lost a truck load of tools when somebody stole the truck. I filed for $39,000. with the insurance.

Post Likes
    I've been fortunate to have not lost anything of much value toolwise. YJ psychrometer is probably the most expensive. I've misplaced more tools than I'd like to admit. I have an estwing hammer I've owned for about 10 years now. I've left it in so many places but it always comes home. Left it in an attic and found it a year and a half later on a check up. I have a spare now. Probably have lost a couple hundred in miscellaneous small tools. Most of that is probably temp probes. Did lose 2 cell phones on the job.
    "If common sense was so common, everyone would have it."

Do it once, do it right.

It will take as long as it takes, which will be not as long if you let me do my job.

Post Likes
    My mind!

Just kidding, I did lose an a few screwdrivers or so... but nothing too expensive.

I left an sman on the side of a house once but upon returning it was still there.... thank god.

Post Likes
    Digi-Cool 1250

Probably lost the most over the years on flashlights if you add it up.