Post Likes

Hurricane Florence

Hope you guys in the path are playing it safe. Don't be a hero.

Take care of you and your family. There will be more work when it passes.

Stay dry and best of luck to you.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    I know a guy that lives in south carolina hes a generator guy, i texted him “ i have a 4 pole generator at 600 rpm so how is the weather in the Carolinas?” He never texted me back so i hope he annoyed with my bs question and not further a loss from a missing beach home or worse actually injured. ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    They're getting a ton of rain, over 3 feet I believe, and all that water needs to make it's way back to the ocean somehow because the ground is already saturated. Must be really scary for many people.

Post Likes
    I'm in North Myrtle Beach, SC & so far we've been pretty lucky. I live about 8 blocks from the ocean & I've stayed through most of the hurricanes since Hugo & have been pretty lucky. My wife convinced me to leave this time & stay with our daughter & grand kids about 3 hrs west so I just got back earlier today. Some of the roads were barely passable & now just a few hours later they are under water. Our power only went out for 36 hrs. which is pretty good for a hurricane. There's still more rain to come but unless we have a tsunami my house should be fine. I really feel for those by the river because the flooding is probably going to get worse. The wind has died down but I still have my windows boarded up. I've been thinking about getting a generator because hurricanes are pretty common around here & we always lose power usually about one to three days on average. I don't want anything fancy just something to run 1 refrig, 1 freezer, some lights, internet, computer & a TV.
    Any recommendations?
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I'm in North Myrtle Beach, SC & so far we've been pretty lucky. I live about 8 blocks from the ocean & I've stayed through most of the hurricanes since Hugo & have been pretty lucky. My wife convinced me to leave this time & stay with our daughter & grand kids about 3 hrs west so I just got back earlier today. Some of the roads were barely passable & now just a few hours later they are under water. Our power only went out for 36 hrs. which is pretty good for a hurricane. There's still more rain to come but unless we have a tsunami my house should be fine. I really feel for those by the river because the flooding is probably going to get worse. The wind has died down but I still have my windows boarded up. I've been thinking about getting a generator because hurricanes are pretty common around here & we always lose power usually about one to three days on average. I don't want anything fancy just something to run 1 refrig, 1 freezer, some lights, internet, computer & a TV.
    Any recommendations?
    No recommendations on generators.

Just want to say that I am glad that you and your family are OK. I too feel for those people directly in the path.

Please be safe out there.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    No recommendations on generators.

Just want to say that I am glad that you and your family are OK. I too feel for those people directly in the path.

Please be safe out there.
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    The rain is still pouring down but the worst is over except for the flooding. This hurricane wasn't that strong but it seems like it's lasting forever.
    On another note, one of the things that is not very publicized & is a big reason why people stay instead of evacuating during the hurricanes is how hard it can be to get back to your home afterwards. Sometimes the roads are closed due to flooding & sometimes they just will not let you back in. After hurricane Hugo, they sent in the national guard & they wouldn't let people back in to the area to even check their homes for days after the hurricane had already gone. A lot of people that left during the hurricane swore they'd never leave again no matter how bad the hurricane was.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    Any recommendations?
    The largest problem with gasoline generators is the gas goes bad (or the carburetor gets clogged)...
    And when you NEED it... it needs an hours maintenance to run.

Costco has a couple of models on their shelves... that run from either gasoline or a gas grill LP tank.
    Yes, running a generator with LP is expensive... however the dirty fuel issue is resolved.

IMO something to think about if the generator will only be used for storms.

I have a Lincoln portable welder that can throw 10KW... I run the engine monthly to keep the gas and carburetor clean.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    The largest problem with gasoline generators is the gas goes bad (or the carburetor gets clogged)...

Costco has a couple of models on their shelves... that run from either gasoline or a gas grill LP tank.
    Yes, running a generator with LP is expensive... however the dirty fuel issue is resolved.

I have a Lincoln portable welder that can throw 10KW... I run the engine monthly to keep the gas and carburetor clean.
    There is the Aspen alkylate type of fuel that you can buy at the big box stores and most small engine shops that reportedly has a shelf life of 3 to 5 years and won't gum up the carb if its left sitting in the fuel tank.

Its not a cheap fuel to buy though from what I have seen on the shelf price tags.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

So it sounds like its a good idea to run the generator for a few minutes periodically just to keep everything working for when you do need it. I probably should be doing the same thing with my lawn mower because I always have a problem starting it every year & I end up buying a new one every 3 or 4 years. Anyways I was thinking about something reasonably inexpensive like around 6000 watts. I figure a refrig. or freezer shouldn't pull much more than 2000w on startup. My other thought is that a smaller one would probably take less fuel to run as long as it wasn't maxed out. I'm just guessing since I have no experience with generators. I assume a generator is not like a circuit breaker that can hold well over its rated current for a split second or two since it is the power source.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    So it sounds like its a good idea to run the generator for a few minutes periodically just to keep everything working for when you do need it. I probably should be doing the same thing with my lawn mower because I always have a problem starting it every year & I end up buying a new one every 3 or 4 years. Anyways I was thinking about something reasonably inexpensive like around 6000 watts. I figure a refrig. or freezer shouldn't pull much more than 2000w on startup. My other thought is that a smaller one would probably take less fuel to run as long as it wasn't maxed out. I'm just guessing since I have no experience with generators. I assume a generator is not like a circuit breaker that can hold well over its rated current for a split second or two since it is the power source.
    I run my 5th wheel rv with a Champion brand 4000 watt gen I got at Tractor Supply. It will only run one AC at a time along with everything else but I only use it to keep the dogs comfy when stopped for lunch or site seeing.
    I like the Hondas but are really pricey for my usage. I've had my Champion now for 4+ years & no problems but I only run 91octane non-ethanol fuel with Stabil additive. Harbor Frieght has A generator that Consumer Reports says is as good or better than the Hondas. Just get a Generac whole house unit installed.
    Remember to add a transfer switch or use extension cord to appliances cause if you don't open the breakers to the utility line your gonna kill some unsuspecting lineman trying to restore power.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    The rain is still pouring down but the worst is over except for the flooding. This hurricane wasn't that strong but it seems like it's lasting forever.
    On another note, one of the things that is not very publicized & is a big reason why people stay instead of evacuating during the hurricanes is how hard it can be to get back to your home afterwards. Sometimes the roads are closed due to flooding & sometimes they just will not let you back in. After hurricane Hugo, they sent in the national guard & they wouldn't let people back in to the area to even check their homes for days after the hurricane had already gone. A lot of people that left during the hurricane swore they'd never leave again no matter how bad the hurricane was.
    I suggest that you spend a lil' $$ & get at least a Whole House Generator Gary, & run it off of Propane, or Nat. Gas, ... You'll make a lotta friends the next time around, when a Hurricane hits, & You'll have plenty of Power.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Yeah used to live in Miami and these hurricanes are a nightmare although we never got directly hit while I live there I’ve been in Florida when Charlie had sent all those curtains and it was devastating to everybody I wish everybody the best of luck with God’s presence and prayers