Thread: Mitsubishi minisplit air handler vs slim duct

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Mitsubishi minisplit air handler vs slim duct

Hello again,

I'm considering a Mitsubishi minisplit however I am having trouble choosing a zoning option.

I was wondering the difference between the full size pva
    12k btu air handler with two zones vs 2 9k ducted slim duct units.

My concern is with how effective are the slim ducted units for airflow, and opinions on energy efficiency having completely separate heads. I have confidence that these fall nicely in my heat load calc.

Obviously I ask because I have slim duct Carrier heads and they really don't blow much air at all so I was curious if any installers have good luck with slim ducts vs the air handlers.

va air handler

Post Likes
    For one, there's a huge price difference between the PVA and the wall-mounted units with the PVA being very expensive. I take it these are two fairly small rooms or one large room you're trying to cool/heat since you're only looking a 1 to 1.5 tons? If so, wall-mounted units should work very well and you won't potentially lose some of your energy cost in ductwork. Mitsubishi does make wall-mounted air handlers that can provide directional airflow if the unit(s) will be offset from the room.

EDIT: Just realized your second option is slim ducts, not wall-mounted. That is still a better option than the PVA in my opinion. Of course as long as they can be serviced easily!

Post Likes
    The wall mount units will be more efficient than the slim duct. Most of the time the slim duct is installed because someone does not want to see the wall mount hanging on the wall.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cyamamoto91 View Post
    Hello again,

I'm considering a Mitsubishi minisplit however I am having trouble choosing a zoning option.

I was wondering the difference between the full size pva
    12k btu air handler with two zones vs 2 9k ducted slim duct units.

My concern is with how effective are the slim ducted units for airflow, and opinions on energy efficiency having completely separate heads. I have confidence that these fall nicely in my heat load calc.

Obviously I ask because I have slim duct Carrier heads and they really don't blow much air at all so I was curious if any installers have good luck with slim ducts vs the air handlers.

va air handler
    Slim ducts typically have terrible airflow due to low static pressure budgets. I wont even install them anymore.

PVA would be much better than slim ducted.

But wall mounts will be 10 times better than both.

Wall mount has no conduction loss, has 5 fan speeds, has temp control per room/true zoning, is not subject to poor duct installation and performance, costs a lot less, has the ability to move airflow in the direction you want.

Wall mount is more efficient, better comfort control, costs less. But leaves eye sore to some.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    "This Story Is True, Only The Facts Were Changed"

"It's Not Black vs White, Left vs Right, Mask vs No Mask! Its Us vs Them! Stop Letting Them Divide Us And Take Our Control!"

"Is This Your Opinion Or Experience?"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in