Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    And but you have to burn away the fence around it make sure its very clean before you Braze it together. Ive done this plenty Up times but youre gonna have a big square in the coil but will still work. You may want to make a Pats square out of sheet metal where the hole is at so the air pressure is not lost at all depending on the size it wont affect you too much

Post Likes
    The problem as I see it is you don't know what is inside the coil. How clean was his bit when he drilled the hole, how many copper and alum shavings went inside, did any water get in, way to may unknowns to me to risk a patch. If you feel sorry for the guy sell him the coil for cost. I think CYA is the phrase that pays here.

Post Likes
    I had a situation last year. The customer came in with a window A/C. He noticed all sorts of water in the bottom tray at the back of the unit, you know, the reservoir that holds the water the slinger ring throws against the coil to help cool it. In the process he drilled into the liquid line. Sure i could have fixed it, it was only a year old, but it would have cost him the price of a new window shaker so what's the point. Sure this is a more expensive repair but it is still a HO screw up, not yours.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    As far as trane is cocerned those are a permanent repair and would not affect the warranty. Atleast when the leak is there fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That kit was designed for repairs where they transition from Copper to Aluminum. Not a leak in the middle of the coil. Will it work..........Maybe Maybe not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That kit was designed for repairs where they transition from Copper to Aluminum. Not a leak in the middle of the coil. Will it work..........Maybe Maybe not.
    You will be surprised I have installed the coupling in couple of tight ass places and it worked great. Sure it can do copper to copper. The coupling doesn't have a marked end where aluminum has to go on one end and the other on copper end.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Post Likes
    Pricey and you have to be able to slide it all the way over then halfway back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Pricey
    verses replacing the condenser?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    verses replacing the condenser?
    No comparison to connect aluminum to copper It's priceless at that point. Now copper to copper not worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    No comparison to connect aluminum to copper It's priceless at that point. Now copper to copper not worth it.
    Right on! Yes for aluminum to copper is priceless. But for OP is probably worth it also since there would be no brazing and no chance to screw up anything else.

Post Likes
    The coupling shown is made by Swagelok, probably the best compression fitting available on the market, they are not cheap. We did some destructive testing with Swagelok SS and 316SS tubing, to prove a design and every time the tube failed (10,000 psi) before the fitting. But what I don't understand is why the coupling body is bronze and the caps are Stainless Steel. They make these fitting in Bronze, Stainless and Carbon Steel. All the parts are interchangable, but from Swagelok it's kind of a No-No to mix materials because the yield stress are different. But maybe that's what Trane specified.

Post Likes
    All stainless and Trane wound want to double that price.

Post Likes
    It's funny. They were cheaper a couple years back. But they have gone up by $20-25 in price. C&D valve made some compression fittings just like these but you cant find them anymore anywhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123