Post Likes

New System Not Removing Humidity

I have the identical question that was posted earlier today by another new user but since I'm a new member/homeowner, I'm not allowed to reply in that thread.

I got a new Amana HVAC system which is cooling fine but it's humid and clammy in the home. The HVAC condensate line drains onto my driveway. The old system always formed a puddle on the pavement when it's warm and humid outside but the new system produces barely a trickle so I know it's not my imagination. And it's been 90 and very humid.

My installer is coming back to check it out (but seems to doubt what I'm saying) but I'm trying to educate myself first and I wonder if my equipment is properly matched. My home is 1,500 sq. ft. with 9.5 ft. ceilings. My old system was a 2.5T (same as new system), 10 SEER.

New system:

• Condensor - Amana: ASX160311AB
    • Furnace - Amana: AMVC960603BX
    • Coil - Goodman: CAPF3137B6

Additionally, the two 10-in. round return ducts were undersized so the installer added a parallel 10-in flex duct (in case that changes the equation). It was plugged into a small 10-in cube return box but that's another story that I'll address separately.

Thanks for any advice.

Post Likes
    That looks to be a match as long as you have the field installed externally mounted TXV. The F in CAPF stands for Flowrater, basically comes from the factory with a piston metering device. Suppose to match the piston size to the OD unit. If I'm reading it correctly, it's AHRI # 8982269

https://www.ahridirectory.org/

Says it's a 2.5 ton

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Home/D...N5PfMRTjn0ZBm5

Need to verify the subcooling is to manufacturer spec. You can ask them what it is. Your refrigerant charge may be off for starters.

Guessing your old unit had a basic multispeed PSC motor? whereas the Amana looks to have a variable speed and two stage.

The B in the furnace and coil indicates they are 17.5" wide
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 09-14-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the quick and thorough reply Bazooka Joey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    That looks to be a match as long as you have the field installed externally mounted TXV. The F in CAPF stands for Flowrater, basically comes from the factory with a piston metering device. Suppose to match the piston size to the OD unit. If I'm reading it correctly, it's AHRI # 8982269

Says it's a 2.5 ton
    Should I be able to reference this to documentation I have? It's not clear to me how to use this... ?

Yes, it does have a TXV.

Need to verify the subcooling is to manufacturer spec. You can ask them what it is. Your refrigerant charge may be off for starters.
    I think you're all over it! He just left and said it was down over a pound of refrigerant and the subcooling was 2.5 and is now around 11. I'd never heard that term before and you both mentioned it.

Guessing your old unit had a basic multispeed PSC motor? whereas the Amana looks to have a variable speed and two stage.
    It was a 15-year-old basic Rheem and I assumed is was a single speed.

I'll give it a few days and see if the humidity level changes.

Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Keep eye on drain line to compare. If they left the install guide with the unit, it should state what Goodman wants for subcooling. Forgot to mention if your state or gas or local utility company offers rebates your A/C and furnace should qualify.

One source: http://www.dsireusa.org/

Make sure you register your system to receive the maximum manufacturer warranty, if not registered it will revert to a basic warranty.