Post Likes

Modulating gas furnace, how happy

Do you find your customers are happy with their modulating furnace? Just woundering.

Post Likes
    Customers are happy with any furnace as long as it works.

Post Likes
    Comfort goes up, gas bill stays about the same or maybe goes up a little.
    This is personal experience with the one I have installed.

Post Likes
    Most are happy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Im going to be putting a 5ton 115,000btu 98% mod furnace with 5 ton 20 seer inverter in the next couple weeks. Should be a fun job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Watch out for stratification due to extended run times at low velocities.

Post Likes
    Customer love them!!!!! Especially when they are on a matching stat that modulates based on need and not a cheapo stat that lets a timer on the board do it. Some time up the longer it runs but really want a way to stage down as the house warms up. We've sold the Rheem mod since day 1 and it was the first & only mod for a long time.

I'm more worried about modulating A/Cs. Around here furnaces are mostly basement or downflow on the 1st floor and running at 100%, few houses cool the upstairs. Then you come along and put a blower running at 25% cuz the stat is happy and the upstairs won't get any airflow. Low velocities like knave said. Only had that a couple times with heat since heat rises but I picture a 2 story being real uncomfy. Ranch or equipment in attic maybe get by with it.

8. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Customer love them!!!!! Especially when they are on a matching stat that modulates based on need and not a cheapo stat that lets a timer on the board do it. Some time up the longer it runs but really want a way to stage down as the house warms up. We've sold the Rheem mod since day 1 and it was the first & only mod for a long time.

I'm more worried about modulating A/Cs. Around here furnaces are mostly basement or downflow on the 1st floor and running at 100%, few houses cool the upstairs. Then you come along and put a blower running at 25% cuz the stat is happy and the upstairs won't get any airflow. Low velocities like knave said. Only had that a couple times with heat since heat rises but I picture a 2 story being real uncomfy. Ranch or equipment in attic maybe get by with it.
    The system is going to be a Rheem R98VA along with a RA20 I believe and high efficiency coil with EEV. With the Econet system. Are there parameters in the stat that allow you so set a minimum cooling rate? I know at that point your basically being counter productive and limiting the modulation. But given a poop cooling situation during a hot summer could be a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    They are, but usually I sell the normal ECM systems.. honestly most of my customers want the cheapest furnace out there, so I usually just go with the 80% PSC systems.

Post Likes
    IMO...

ALL high efficiency equipment is about comfort... NOT saving $$$ in the larger picture (one never gets their initial higher cost back).

Having said that... literally EVERY person I have talked into buying a VS (true VS, not CT or X13) furnace or a MOD furnace... appreciates it.
    And while we are talking about it... we installed 4x systems this last summer (2018) with 97% MOD furnace and 20 SEER inverter AC... literally EVERY one of them reported 25-30% reduction in their elec bill!
    The ones that we included zoning... really like the way the zoning works!

Conclusion: Not everyone appreciates the comfort level one gets from the high end equipment (appreciates it enough to pay for it, knowing they will not get their $$$ back). The folks that do... LOVE the systems!

The point BL brought up about long duct runs and low airflow is significant!
    If the system is ramped down to, say, 45-50% of capacity... the farthest supply registers (and if multi-floor, the upstairs), are not gonna get enough airflow... which means the upstairs is gonna be hot/downstairs cold during the summer. There is just no way around it: separate systems for each floor is the BEST way to do a house.
    Having said that: One 'can' zone the basement into the main level, using a MOD furnace and inverter AC... IMO do not try it with single stage equipment, and probably not with 2 stage either--without some creative ductwork mods.

When we sell... we try to determine the wants/needs of the customer... and suggest what would make them happy. There is no point in suggesting a MOD/inverter system to someone who is a cheapskate or cannot afford it...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

12. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post