+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "For Fixture Support"

Post Likes

"For Fixture Support"

@Timebuilder - what does that mean exactly? I used the Googler but it comes up with no exact definition.

I have a box that looks fan rated - it has the 2 holes at the top but no bracket. It's a circular hard plastic brown box nailed to the joist. Inside the box is stamped into the plastic "For Fixture Support".
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Well I went into the hot ass attic, crawled through 2 feet of fiberglass to find this little box in a little low corner of the roof line. It was only on 2 nails. I installed a 2x4 above where the holes were in the box and screwed that to the existing 2x4 ceiling joists. The box was tied to that with 2 drywall screws and large washers. I can hang on that box now.

(I also covered up my ducts that some handy hack decided to uncover. I hate apartments.)
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Well I went into the hot ass attic, crawled through 2 feet of fiberglass to find this little box in a little low corner of the roof line. It was only on 2 nails. I installed a 2x4 above where the holes were in the box and screwed that to the existing 2x4 ceiling joists. The box was tied to that with 2 drywall screws and large washers. I can hang on that box now.

(I also covered up my ducts that some handy hack decided to uncover. I hate apartments.)
    You did the right thing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

4. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I appreciate that. I'd still like to know what "for fixture support" really means. If there's a spec behind it...or... ???
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I appreciate that. I'd still like to know what "for fixture support" really means. If there's a spec behind it...or... ???
    It's what makes the box eligible to hold fans or other heavy fixtures.

You can either buy the metal boxes with brackets that can span the trusses, or screw a regular box (that is rated as a fan support) to 2x material that spans the trusses.

Think of those boxes like a multi-position air handler - they're "convertible"

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

7. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you. I appreciate it.
    Nest is POO!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in